My time at Woodstock :)

Goodthaigirl

Congratulations GTG for dispelling the sterotype that the only good speakers of the English language are "western" men or women. It seems too often that people of color are viewed as incapable of mastering either spoken English without an accent or using the proper grammar in written prose.

I have met plenty of Thais, both educated abroad and local, that have skills superior to the average western "native" speaker. One was a church social worker (who never left Thailand)in Pattaya who learned English by speaking daily to tourists about her faith! Her enunciaton, use of idioms, and sentence structure was perfect.

By the way, I am passionate about this because I have experienced the same sterotyping. I'm Asian (Chinese decent), and English is my second language. In many first encounters, its amazing to see how people react when they realize that I can speak and understand English at least as well as they do.

Happy posting !

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by flyonzewall:

GTG,

great, you caused a few lost farang faces there, one has to figure out who to prepare his hat now (i know, i'm an arsehole, but i just can't help myself
smile.gif" border="0
)

ROTFLMAO!

Who is it - Fly ?

Could you please remind us on the board again?

How about TOM YUM HAT !!

quote:

Originally posted by Good Thai Girl:

He was sort of smile and then turned to talk to the guy walking in front of me instead,leaving me feeling ackward for about 10 min. but it seemed like 10 years

That's not nice to hear, but it's not surprising either. With over 2000 people on the board, and hundreds of frequent visitors to Woodstock, of course not everyone knows each other, or even cares about or likes every single board member. For sure many people don't know things that are going on on the board all the time.

Myself I'm living in Chiang Mai with only occaisional trips to Bangkok / Woodstock, and usually I'm just happy to meet the people I know already and don't go out of my way to ask who-is-who all the time.

>They were LONG GUN - you're very nice. It's

>a shame you could'nt stay longer frown.gif" border="0

There, now you made me doubt your exisitence again. :-) While I'm willing to accept that Long Gun can seem nice, he was there already at 8 pm???????????????? That would be a first. :-)

I'm curious about one thing so I hope you forgive me asking this: why are you interested in this board, it's topic and even the people on it? You must have many foreign friends and acqaintances and also on the Internet there are plenty more, erm, respectable places to discuss things.. Why the interest in Nanaplaza and the sex tourist / sexpat scene?

Cheers,

Chanchao

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: Chanchao ]

I'm curious about one thing so I hope you forgive me asking this: why are you interested in this board, it's topic and even the people on it? You must have many foreign friends and acqaintances and also on the Internet there are plenty more, erm, respectable places to discuss things.. Why the interest in Nanaplaza and the sex tourist / sexpat scene?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Sorry to answer your question.. Im not her (GTG)but...

I m a Thai girl who also interested in NanaPlaza 's board 'cause I m curious that what make your guys return over and over for what you are called"Sanuk sence" why some of your guys even subsidize your TBG.Why somebody even left their wife for a pros whom they're met only a few nights.Isn't interesting stuff?

quote:

Originally posted by oo7:

I m a Thai girl who also interested in NanaPlaza 's board 'cause I m curious that what make your guys return over and over for what you are called"Sanuk sence" why some of your guys even subsidize your TBG.Why somebody even left their wife for a pros whom they're met only a few nights.Isn't interesting stuff?

Yes, very interesting, I agree! :-) For me I think Thailand can be a very friendly, sanuk-sabai place. Thai bar girls are perhaps the most accessible part of it to many tourists.

Most western countries are cold, mechanical, dull, unfriendly, unpolite, unrespectful, boring and expensive where you live a very marginal life. Personal contact almost seems a bad thing.

Yet the very second you get off that plane in Don Muang you meet interesting and warm people. Even the attendants at the Airport Bus are friendly and interested. Or waiters and waitresses in restaurants, or people working at Lotus, or at gas stations. Do you have any idea what people in those kind of jobs are like in the West?

I know many Thai people don't see it that way. Just last month I was here in the USA with some Thai people and they LOVED the USA. I didn't get to the bottom of it, but everything was more 'เจริณ' (developed, propsperous) to them than back home.

Sure it's developed. I just spent 30 mins punching numbers into a telephone system trying to order an extra channel on the pay-per-view cable TV thing here. No personal contact though. You pay your money, you get your service.

In Thailand I don't even watch TV.

Cheers,

Chanchao

quote:

Originally posted by oo7:

Cheers,

Chanchao

Sorry to answer your question.. Im not her (GTG)but...

oo7,

Yes, indeed - oo7. In other Thai-oriented board you can get some general stuff. But this board gives you info that no other boards couldn't possibly give you. It's - like I've said on my other post for about three times - that this board is entertaining as well as educational.

It doesn't waste my time at all. I've learnd a lot of things here. I'm practicing my English too.

Maybe - just maybe that I can find a topic for my PhD thesis - who knows !

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

GTG,

Don't keep us in suspense! What foreign country did you study in? You do have a very good comand of the English language, so I assume it wasn't here in California!
smile.gif" border="0
Or any other parts of the states!
smile.gif" border="0

It's not the country that makes my English it is what it is now. I was there for only two years.

I would give this credit to my old school where I studied from kindergarten up to secondarty school. It really IS a good school - not international school though.

Basiccally, I don't stop learning English at all. I read a column teaching English on a newspaper every day. It helps refining your English daily with a very little time. I also listening to English radio station and TV everyday. AND reading and writing stuff on this board helps too. wink.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by zoot:

"sub-cultures" , "scenes" , whatever you want to call them are fascinating -fullstop , ....

..I am sure this is the reason that out thai girl friends are now on the board .They are like us , just interested , in interesting things .
smile.gif" border="0

Exactly - Zoot !

BTW, you're not a mindreader - right?

wink.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Good Thai Girl:

I would give this credit to my old school where I studied from kindergarten up to secondarty school. It really IS a good school - not international school though.

Would you mind sharing the name of this school? There are a number of people on this board that have children and would accept a recomendation of a GOOD school.

Archived