alternatives to BG-ing

pattaya127

GTG,

None of those jobs come even near the +20k baht a month a decent BG can make nor do I think that they can necessarily improve their occupaion once they are in those types of jobs. Sure a live in maid can save money, but when would she have time to go to school or start a business? Basically it seems she is doing as most maids/cleaning ladies I meet in the States do. They work for their children's future(ie. college, private school, etc).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orand,

These menial jobs are Bgs alternatives. If you are trying to say how can BGs can get on a fast-track upward mobility career, forget it. Why would it even exist? There is a strong correlation bewteen education and jobs everywhere in the world and Thailand is no different.

BGs have very little chance to improve their socio-econ status unless they marry into wealth or find the funds to complete school. BGs if they wish to do it on their own will need to obtain the required education to better themeselves occupationally.

There does seem to be prejudice against the poor and their intellect in Thailand. I have spoken with with a number of female university graduates about scholarship availability.

They say these do exist but usuually for middle class and above. What they were telling me is that it is their belief that it is hard to find poor people who are also smart in the academic sense. At least in my mind, it defeats the whole purpose of scholarships for the disadvantaged.

Cardinalblue

I think the issue here is, once a BG, can you then find something else that suits you, pays reasonable and has some future.

----------------------

It is also an interesting take on the subject, that BGs would make some money and invest it in education or a business, quitting the sex/$$ thing. Not a given, as so many seem so young or immature , gullible/spendthrift, or unacquired to the idea of managing a "company", even if they are their only employee. I am sure it happens, though.

They say these do exist but usuually for middle class and above. What they were telling me is that it is their belief that it is hard to find poor people who are also smart in the academic sense. At least in my mind, it defeats the whole purpose of scholarships for the disadvantaged.

------------------------

I think i read that less than 5% of university students are coming from the 80% less favored families in the country. This is a drastic economic reality, not a disability to be smart because they're poor. I have had some experience sine i dated both poor and educated. The smartest were not especially the better off, far from it. A shame they did not have a chance to further education. Opps! off-topic, sorry guys and girls...............

>>>It is also an interesting take on the subject, that BGs would make some money and invest it in education or a business, quitting the sex/$$ thing<<<<

Quite a few actually enter the bar scene with that purpose in mind, but it fades as they get stuck in that kind of life. See the example in my first post in this tread of a girl actually educated but unable to quit, even though she still insists its her intention. Poo mother is too demanding (or perhaps its her Thai BF/HB, but she didn't want to say that to me).

I'm sending 1 girl to school now, because she really wants that. Me giving fianancial support makes the difference here.

And no, I don't expect sexual favours from her. Just see it as a private scholarship for someone in need and eager. I can spare the money, so why not make that difference to at least one.

Perhaps the boardmembers could set up something to assist others in this way, and truly make a difference to some of these girls. A few of us that are residing here could make the selection and check progress made etc. (you'll have to be very carefull I know that the money is spend towards education and not to other pleasures, but safeguards can be put into place).

Really doesn't need to cost that much for those that have some bucks to spare.

I'm serious about this, so lets hear it from you guys

I think i read that less than 5% of university students are coming from the 80% less favored families in the country. ...A shame they did not have a chance to further education. Opps! off-topic, sorry guys and girls...............

I'm not sure anybody had mentioned this, but education is not exactly the ticket to better jobs in Thailand like it is in the West. There are tons of people that cannot find work using their learned skills, or even when they do find work, they find that the increased salary does not justify the expense of their education.

when this forum was on Delphi.com, our memeber from Hawaii, can't recall his name, talked us into setting a foundation to give education to poor kids in Issan. Dozens answered: yeah, cool! What happened? zilch.

3 points:

1)my Gf has a kid. If i the relationship stands, I look forward to help the kid get an education.

2) i would indeed rather help before kids enter the bar life, thru existing foundations. To channel energy and funds to better the education of poorer kids is a full time job, to be done right.

3) It could very well be that many members do just that, helping others, and keep their charitable actions to themselves. Just saying that if you do not get a lot of answers, might be the reason and not lack of heart.

PS: we know you are not asking sexual favors from your protegee. But what we really want to know is when..... Apologies for the bad taste, said with a big LOL!

Archived