alternatives to BG-ing

pattaya127

this is to be approached specifically. Let's try to abstain for once about the morality, good/bad issue. we have had from our thai members opinions that if some really try, they can strive for education or another life and choose professional activities away from selling your butt. What is your opinion of educational and professional choices a Bg could have that may result in lesser income but start her on the way to re-insert in the life that the great majority of women in Thailand lead. Please,once again, enounce the possiblities and ways to go about it as you may imagine or know them, not a discussion on BG life or morals. remember also that many a BGs have dropped our of school in their early teens. thanks

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing that a large percentage have children in or out of wedlock, I would think that a good start would be to hold off on children if she is unmarried and if married, well, as much as one can, choose correctly. Look for jai dee instead of other things too. But even women in the west do not choose correctly either.

That being said, I have to think it starts with education. If they can not get a decent education (and even that gives one only so much of an edge) then practically any job that they get is survival pay as it is. Is there enough left over to save to start a business, even a small vendor? I'm not qualified for that, maybe others can comment. GoodThaiGirl seems to think so, perhaps she is right. Others who have lived in Thailand seems to think not.

I have more questions than answers so I'd like to piggyback your question with are there people who starve to death in Thailand as there are in other parts of the world like Ethiopia, etc.? If not, then it seems like you can eke out a living above starvation at least but is that truly living?

Yes, there are people who just die of being "poor".. It doesn't happen (IMHO) like they simply fall down and die. Rather it happens by having a poor diet and (therefore) a suppressed immune systems.. All you need to add is a case of Hep A, Hep B, Malaria or any other type disease and that's it. Game over.

As a person who has been to places like Ethiopia, Rwanda and other bastions of poverty, I can say you die from the ramifications of being poor.

As for education goes, I'd have to agree. Almost on a worldwide basis, education is the one most powerful tool that a person can use to possible better themselves and their situation. This is not to say that education cures all. It doesn't, but it sure as hell dramatically improves the odds.

--UPSer

A BG I know worked in Phuket as a cook, and now wants to save enough money to go back home - Isaan, and open a small restaurant. She seems to have a real knowledge and appreciation of the amount of hard work it will take, and seems quite sincere in her ambition.

Not many, but some girls do have an ulterior plan. I always admire that.

I think it depends on several issues/situations.

1. What was the initial reason for entering a bar (dumped by her Thai boyfriend, purely money, wanting to meet potential farang HB's etc.).

2. What was her education level when entering.

3. How long has she been working in a bar.

4. Whats' her family situation (kids, alcoholic dad who insists on her sending money, difficult brother of Thai BF who want ot live off her income etc.)

5. others you all can think off

Many that I have met, have or had plan. Work a short time as a BG, save money, and start something else or continue study. However after to many months in the bar these plans become nice dreams only.

A few month ago I met ths girl who actually is well educated (Univ. degree). She had worked for a company at around 10K per month when it went bust. Then entered a bar (upstairs in PP of all places). Hated it at first, but soon found that she could make between 30 and 40 K per month (she's rather attractive). She said she was saving to set up a fashion store and had saved close to 100K and only neede a bit more. Went to see her again and ask how her savings and business plans were doing. Said she had given it all to mom to build a new house.

Keep dreaming!!!!!

Some can actually get out and start anew. I truly believe this and have seen some cases. But in almost all these cases there has been a financial sponsor (Farang customer or maybe a Thai man met elsewhere, if she's considered to be still attractive to them.

As I mentioned in another post (making a difference), I am supporting a girl now, who has left the bar, and starting to further her education. But then she "worked" only for 2 months and had never been going overnight with a customer yet. Not yet spoiled by the scene, and shown an eagerness to get out a.s.a.p. and study. Without my support this would have been difficult and she did not have any money at all.

Time will learn if she can truly make it

Pattaya,

I think what it comes down to at the end of the day is the relative short-term gains to me made working on your back. Given that a really shrewd opporator can earn in a month what an engineer or similarly qualified proffessional earns, why not take the risk? After all, they only need what they already have, their bodies, as opposed to trying to enter some education system that discriminates against them from the outset. Lets face it, Thailand is a money-tocracy and not a meritocracy and one has to get to the top of the shite-heap in the way one knows best.

Cheers

Jaga

We as westerners like to think of education as a sort of great equalizer. Unfortunately in Thailand as in much of the rest of the world, there is no such equalizer -- there's a lot more to overcome. How many middle or upper class Thai people do you think want to walk into a hotel, or a travel agent, or ... (insert decent/ordinary job that we think education prepares you for here) and deal with a young Isaan lady?

It's not only about education, it's about access to mainstream society ad overcoming some pretty severe odds.

What do you think happens to all the kids from all these universities in Korat, Ubon, Khon Khaen, Maha sarrakham, Udon, etc... many of those technical institutes that will have them work in the mainstream society. I am not sure what you meant by young issan girl? Bg with limited education?anyone issan? Thereare many issan midlle class kids as brown as Bgs who work in all kind of skilled, white collar work in BKK and a few other provinces.

Ok, sorry, I read the post quite early in the working day and was suffering from my usual pre 12pm dyslexia. I'd still say that the opportunities are limited for BG's wanting to make a new life. The major themes of my previous post stand. Job and social advancement in LOS depend largely on a pre-ordained status that escapes most Isaan-ites. I would say unless a girl manages to save or has a sugar daddy the opportunities for retraining are slim and even then the money wouldn;t come anywhere near the earnings gained working in the falang sanuk sector. I would also say moving to another service based industry with the potential to earn tips would be the best thing for most as many gain English and people skills during their stints in the bars.

Cheers

Jaga

Archived