• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Coss

Coss

Carpal Tunnel

• Board Sponsors
  • 10595 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 00:48

I would have thought that it was the cumulative efforts of all the bouncy bouncy, you know, like people all jumping up and down, on a bridge, the combined down force, on the down stroke, so to speak, is driving the city down, like a distributed pile driver, :)

http://www.khaosoden...al-groundwater/

Posted Image
Yes still wanting to be back in Vientiane, swinging in my hammock, supping ice n beer, in the shade of my Cashew tree.

#2 Dexi

Dexi

Eccentric

• Members
  • 1442 posts
  • LocationUdon

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:01

Wonder what their combined bill for skin whitening products is ? :grinyes:
Only the mediocre are always at their best.

#3 Vintage_Kwai

Vintage_Kwai

journeyman

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 14:24

What a load of rubbish. Going back almost thirty years, Green Spot (and associated soft drinks manufacturers) had their processing plants around Ramkhampaeng and Rangsit where they were pumping this out of the ground to supply soft drinks to the whole of the country. Yes, it did cause subsistence then and the practice was stopped and they were forced to move out. A law was put in place where it was illegal to pump ground water out, at least in Bangkok, and I believe, was quite strictly enforced.
If the article has any truth to it, the offending parties would also need water processing and purification of ground (read hard) water. Soap and hard water do not mix.

#4 Vintage_Kwai

Vintage_Kwai

journeyman

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 14:28

Methinks this is the precursor to the proposed water tax in the pipeline (no pun intended)

#5 panadolsandwich

panadolsandwich

The carnival that rolls downhill

• Members
  • 902 posts
  • LocationBrisVegas

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:46

I don't know about you Coss, but I'd be choosing the one on the far left.

Goes to show, there's more 'pumping' going on then you would have thought.  Cheeky buggers.  Seeing as how Bangkok is sited on a floodplain, when the supporting groundwater is removed and the above lying mud starts to dry up, you'll begin to see at the very least compaction, if not outright drops in the subsoil.  Not good in  a city which let's face it has some very shoddy building standards.

Of course the Machiavellian way of looking at this is to simply say - get rid of the massage parlours - but I don't think that is politically tenable either.

#6 Pretendingtobemale

Pretendingtobemale

Pooh-Bah

• Board Sponsors
  • 1883 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 03:27

Top right corner for me, seems to be about the least altered surgically
לעבן צו פּאַלעסטינע

#7 buffalo_bill

buffalo_bill

Heart broken

• Board Sponsors
  • 4233 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:57

Offering immediate help as environmentally thoughtful quality tourist I promise to postpone any related activities til the next general flooding of Khrungtep. I understand from the weather forecast we are talking about tomorrow . In case of wrong forecast I might consider alternative strategies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users