• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Flashermac

Flashermac

Curmudgeon

• Board Sponsors
  • 53806 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:07

Asia’s airlines are mostly excellent; Europe’s are competent; America’s are awful. It is a pattern that many seasoned globetrotters have observed, but which 1843 has confirmed by trawling through data on 18 major international carriers, visualised in the chart below.

We used flight-volume data from FlightStats.com and customer-satisfaction data from Skytrax, an airline consultancy which asks users to mark carriers out of five for the quality of their food, service, comfort, in-flight entertainment and value for money. American and United each scored 2.17 – barely half as much as leaders ANA and Singapore Airlines, both rated at 4.17.

For prices, we took the world’s 30 busiest airports in the last quarter of 2015 (as measured by FlightStats.com), and analysed direct flights between them on week-long return trips from a sample at the start of August 2016. Most of the 870 possible routes we looked at had a cheapest option, but across the whole sample few companies were able to charge much more or less than their rivals – as you would expect in a competitive market.

With so little difference in prices between airlines, the savvy traveller might as well opt for the comfiest seats, not the cheapest ones – and plump for Asian luxury over shoddy American service.

[chart]

https://www.1843maga...ome-fly-with-me
A happy childhood... is the worst possible preparation for life. - Kinky Friedman

#2 zzzz

zzzz

old hand

• Board Sponsors
  • 1151 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 15:20

http://www.telegraph...eat-plane-food/

#3 Flashermac

Flashermac

Curmudgeon

• Board Sponsors
  • 53806 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 15:24

Dr. Dao has filed a suit and United is backpedaling as fast as they can.
A happy childhood... is the worst possible preparation for life. - Kinky Friedman

#4 Flashermac

Flashermac

Curmudgeon

• Board Sponsors
  • 53806 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:05

Attached File  17883696_10212519184437965_5640442645074127442_n.jpg   90.55K   0 downloads

#5 Mekong

Mekong

City Slicker

• Board Sponsors
  • 10309 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:13

What the DM misreporting something    ...    never!
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain

#6 Flashermac

Flashermac

Curmudgeon

• Board Sponsors
  • 53806 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:32

I was just talking about this to a friend who travels often. He claims that trans-Pacific flights are the best, since they are long and  the airlines have to provide decent food and plenty of movies. Most flights inside the US are for only 3 hours or so, and passengers can hold out without much food or entertainment. He says standards in Europe have gone downhill too, since flights aren't that long. A flight to the US from Bangkok, Seoul, or Tokyo is another matter.

#7 Mekong

Mekong

City Slicker

• Board Sponsors
  • 10309 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:11

Well I fly frequently HAN - BKK on Vietnam Airlines a 1h 50m Flight with a full 3 course  meal and free beer and wine
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain

#8 Pretendingtobemale

Pretendingtobemale

Pooh-Bah

• Board Sponsors
  • 1820 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:17

I quite like Vietnam Airlines, love the livery and uniforms too. There is a row of very good seats near exit.
לעבן צו פּאַלעסטינע

#9 Mekong

Mekong

City Slicker

• Board Sponsors
  • 10309 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:42

View PostPretendingtobemale, on 18 April 2017 - 07:17, said:

I quite like Vietnam Airlines, love the livery and uniforms too. There is a row of very good seats near exit.

That's called Business Class haha
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain

#10 BelgianBoy

BelgianBoy

returnee

• Board Sponsors
  • 15261 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:47

View PostMekong, on 18 April 2017 - 07:42, said: