Australian Man Dies At Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport

bust

Bangkok: An Australian man plunged four floors to his death at Bangkok's busy Suvarnabhumi Airport on Thursday morning.

Surveillance cameras showed that the man, aged 32, took the escalator from the third to the fourth floor before the incident took place at 6.25am.

1490909817280.jpg

Medical staff tried to revive the man and he was taken to Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital, according to the Bangkok Post, but he died from his injuries.

Local police believe the man jumped from from the fourth floor and that the incident was one of self-harm.

"We checked the CCTV and there was no one else with him, he walked alone from the third floor to the fourth floor... we believe it was his intention to harm himself, that nobody threatened him," said Police Lieutenant Colonel Kawee Ratana, according to the ABC.

The airport had installed 2.5 metre high glass walls inside and outside the terminal after past similar deaths. Kittipong Kittikachorn, the airport's safety manager, has ordered engineers to consider erecting additional safety walls.

The name of the man, who also has Irish citizenship, has not yet being made public.

In a separate incident, a 49-year-old Australian man died when his rented motor-cycle and a 10-wheel truck collided on the Thai resort island of Phuket. The man had rented the motorcycle early Thursday and was due to return it on Friday.

A helmet was found beside the body.

The man, who was from New South Wales, was staying in a hotel in the Patong tourist district.

Motorcycle accidents account for many of hundred of deaths each year on Phuket's roads, including many Australians. An average 20,000 Australians holiday on Phuket each month.

Suwannapoom at night can be quite an eerie place - all that glass and brushed stainless steel coupled with the dim lighting.Sometimes waiting for a flight at 2 am I almost expect to see Darth Vader sweeping along the corridor :grinyes:

• Like 1

Suwannapoom at night can be quite an eerie place - all that glass and brushed stainless steel coupled with the dim lighting.Sometimes waiting for a flight at 2 am I almost expect to see Darth Vader sweeping along the corridor :grinyes:

Sometimes at 2 am Swampy I almost think I actually have become Darth Vader, especially after a long week in Pattaya, say.