Khaosan Songkran To Happen Without Water Guns, Sexy Clothes Or Booze

Flashermac

After conflicting reports over the last few days about whether or not Songkran celebrations were canceled on Khaosan Road, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has come forward to say that the festival will happen — albeit with lots of rules.

In observance of the mourning period for the late king, the BMA has said the party on the backpacker street can involve water splashing but there will be no stage, no water guns, no powder and no sexy attire.

To be fair though, many outfits simply become sexy when they are soaking wet.

The BMA’s Phra Nakorn district chief officer Suppakit Boonkhan said that they were asked to cancel the Songkran beauty pageant contest, the entertainment stages, and all loud music, reported Thai PBS.

Apparently, Khaosan business owners were warned against encouraging dancing, water guns, sexy clothes or booze.

No word yet about the city’s other large Songkran celebration, on Silom Road.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/khaosan-songkran-happen-without-water-guns-sexy-clothes-booze/

Oh, yeah. I'm sure they'll enforce this.

I like the one in Laos, very respectful, gentle, friendly and nice. And having legions of young things wai me, before asking if they could spritz me a little, on a hot and humid day, fantastic.

That's what Thailand used to be like. :(

It's actually a northern tradition - Chiang Mai region and western Laos. The Burmese brought it over from India, but now it's spread throughout Thailand. The governor of Phuket limits it to one day, only saying 1) that's enough and 2) it's not southern tradtition anyway.

• Like 1

That's what Thailand used to be like. :(

It's actually a northern tradition - Chiang Mai region and western Laos. The Burmese brought it over from India, but now it's spread throughout Thailand. The governor of Phuket limits it to one day, only saying 1) that's enough and 2) it's not southern tradtition anyway.

How long does it take for a ritual to become a tradition? :spin: