Dogs At The Table

bust

Went to a local cafe yesterday for a late breakfast. I usually sit inside and chat with the owner while I eat. Yesterday they were quiet busy so was forced to sit outside.

At the table next to me were a table of 4 Chinese with two dogs on the women's laps, paws on the table.

Don't get me wrong I love all dogs (except Pomeranians .....Hate Them With A Passion) which one happened to be, but I am pretty sure in most developed countries this would probably be in breach of health guidelines for any restaurant/cafe. In Sydney you cannot smoke within 4 meters of food being served.

I called over the waitress to complain. By this time the Chinese were well aware of my disapproval of their dog's presence at the table probably a result of the filthy looks they were getting from me. She seemed either unaware or dismissive of the situation. My friend the owner came out to join me and I discussed the issue with him. He explained that as a small business operator if he doesn't allow them to bring in their dogs they go elsewhere, a point which I understand. The manager then came to the table and again I pointed out the situation in my opinion was unacceptable. By this time the 4 Chinese were staring at me fully aware of the conversation taking place. I turned and said "yes I am talking about you and your dogs." Minutes later they paid their bill and left.

I have suggested he try and facilitate dogs in a sectioned off are with tie-up points and water bowls. He has an area where this could be done so will see what happens.

Am I over reacting? :dunno:

No, but you have to remember that these are not dogs, they are child surrogates, and in their culture, if Fluffykins wants to get on the table and poop in the soup, that's an instagram (or Chinese equiv) moment that'll go viral.

It's getting bad in the States as well

People getting certified papers on line about fluffy in their compaion stress dog.

They go into stores restaurants etc with them. They piss and crap, opps sorry

I drive truck for a living and these jackwads even take them into the showers with them.

I have politely asked managers about this

They were told by corporate to let it slide

Social media up roar, bad press for their brand....

Law states as follows:

Dogs in outdoor dining areas

A dog, except a restricted or declared dangerous or menacing dog, is allowed in the outdoor dining area of a cafe or restaurant with the cafe or restaurant owner's consent. Certain restrictions apply:

• The outdoor dining area must not be enclosed and must be accessible without the requirement to pass through an enclosed area
  • The dog must be on a leash at all times
  • The dog may be provided with drink, but not food
  • The dog must be on the ground at all times

These restrictions do not apply in leash-free areas where:

• The dog does not have to be on a leash
  • The dog may be given food, as well as drink, while it is on the ground (but not using any apparatus provided for the consumption of food by humans)
  • The dog may sit on a person's lap (but may not sit on any table or chairs or make contact with other apparatus provided for the consumption of food by humans).

In other words dogs are banned by law from being within 10 metres of the outdoor tables and warns of a $500 fine

Doesn't say who get fined though. The operator of the premises or the dog owner.

I have taken my little poodle in to several restaurants, Tesco-Lotus and other shops. Mostly the Thais smile and look

curious as the poodle needs to wear a diaper (mommy poko) as with her back broken in two places, cannot control her

bodily waste functions. She is well behaved...better then me!!! 555