Health/diet Regimen

Steve

Over the last few years I've been really focused on my health. Started doing a lot more reading into what is beneficial and what herbs, spices, veggies, fruits, super foods are good and good for what purpose. My main worry is acquiring some life changing/ending disease like cancer, etc. What I've discovered or read or tried to do.

Probiotics: these are the 'good' bacteria. They get rid of the bad stuff we eat and I've been using it religiously. I ordered a fairly expensive top rated brand as well as an over the counter GNC brand. Yogurt is the main food source of these. Combined with exercise, eating right, I've noticed I have lost weight and kept it off.

Using a blender to eat veggies. I HATE eating my veggies. My mom couldn't get me to eat my broccoli or spinach and I would feed our pet cat my veggies under the table. She didn't even want any unless I added meat to it. Now, I try and eat as much as possible. I have used a blender to make smoothies. The vegetables (and fruits) I try to always include are broccoli and spinaich...lol...as well as mint leaves, eggplant, sweet potato, pomegranate, as well as a capsule or two of my supplements of ginseng, ZMA (zinc, magnesium), green tea, dandelion, cucumbers, carrots, orange,cauliflower, etc. and 100 percent fruit juices. I can actually feel a boost at times.

My night time 'concoction',

table spoon of apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, honey, mint leaves

teaspoon of cinnamon, baking soda, basil, parsley, chopped garlic

I add hot water and cool it enough to drink along with my probiotics and a chlorophyll supplement before I go to bed. Its supposed to help with all kinds of things, stay off hunger, digestion, clean out your system and in the morning I can tell you I can see the results of the bad things in my body passed out in my morning visit to the bathroom.

Throughout the day I drink water and a slice of lemon

I exercise regularly, every other day usually but I listen to my body. I may go 3 or 4 days without a visit to the gym and when I go I do core' stuff, dips, pull ups using various hand grips, push ups, leg extensions and leg curls, squats using the bench bar on my neck.

Alkaline foods:

I keep reading cancer as well as any other disease can not grow in an alkaline environment. So, I eat alkaline foods to fight it off (as well as foods rich in anti oxidants). This is a rough chart.

post-534-0-70077700-1488543845_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

....i forgot. I've pretty much cut all land animals off my daily intake of food. I dated a persian vegan 2 years ago and I learned that from her. I eat fish and lean meats once a week or so. I eat a lot of soup, no beef, no pork, chicken or turkey once in a while. Boiled eggs but only the egg white. I used to eat a lot of shrimp but stopped when I read its high in cholesterol. Low in calories but the cholesterol level was too high for me.

• Like 1

If it tastes good, it's bad for you...

welcome to the 21st

Complete and total utter nonsense.

Get a taste for real food cooked well (or even not cooked at all) and you will find yourself rapidly going off all of this packaged food / junk food crap and lose the taste for it completely.

I used to eat a lot of crap but as I adjusted my diet to healthier food I found that it tasted better i.e. it tasted real. And it doesn't mean that you have to avoid all food that might be bad for you - I still enjoy hamburgers - I either make them myself or go somewhere which uses high quality ingredients.

• Like 1

Hi,

Can't be arsed to figure out what is 'good' or 'bad' for you and get the impression scientists change their minds on this about once a week.Not all convinced either that eating 'bad' food is really a big deal, as long as you do so in moderation.

So, basically, I eat whatever the fuck I want :)

Sanuk!

• Like 3

Hi,

Can't be arsed to figure out what is 'good' or 'bad' for you and get the impression scientists change their minds on this about once a week.Not all convinced either that eating 'bad' food is really a big deal, as long as you do so in moderation.

So, basically, I eat whatever the fuck I want :)

Sanuk!

. It's more genetics than nutrition (although if you want to be fit, go for the nutrition). I second KS's opinion

Alkaline foods:

I keep reading cancer as well as any other disease can not grow in an alkaline environment. So, I eat alkaline foods to fight it off (as well as foods rich in anti oxidants). This is a rough chart.

First off, that chart is seriously flawed. Citrus fruits on the chart as more basic? No way. Ph Neutral is about a 7. Pineapple juice has a acid level of 3..!!! Same with grapefruit.

Don't believe this hype. You are placing a burden on your system trying to maintain homeostasis. Also, your stomach is now having to produce extra acid to break it down, further taxing your system.

Moderation is the key along with proper exercise, IMO

^^^ this is the key.

Get a taste for real food cooked well (or even not cooked at all) and you will find yourself rapidly going off all of this packaged food / junk food crap and lose the taste for it completely.

I agree, NZ is lucky in that fresh food is of high quality and relatively affordable.

In terms of Steve's original post, I'll say, what ever floats your boat. And in the following comments I make no assumptions on what your previous diet was.

When I first went to Australia, I was struck by how good the food quality at the markets etc was, pretty much the same as NZ.

When I first went to Thailand, the food was, well, in the most part, risky, but I've adapted to that now. Where Thailand shines is in the freshness and variety of fruits and vegetables. The meat, fish etc (excepting the live ones) is often refrozen several times and left in the sun, though on ice. Edible, tasty, but not really top notch.

Laos, same as Thailand. They get blood red cockles from Vietnam, that come on a truck to Laos and they are very popular, but washed and formalined to keep em edible. The cockles and Pipis and mussels in NZ still have the smell of the sea in them.

MLG is amazed at the difference, in the seafood and when she had her first NZ crayfish (spiny rock lobster to some) she spent an hour ferreting out every last morsel of flesh fro the shattered carcass.

So Steve, I'm wondering if the benefits you are attaining on your new regime are less to do with the new food and more to do with what you were eating before. I've only been to USA once but I was struck by how much even restaurant food resembles fast food on a plate. I even went so far as to make Old Hippy take me to a market and get some lobsters which I cooked back at his place, with some wine if I remember, he was on the wagon. A meal that was.

• Like 1