Brexit And The British Expat

Mekong

I haven't stepped foot in the UK since 1994, but I hear a lot from English friends about how the UK has changed since it became part of the EU and I can only say that if it was my country I would want for us to be the masters of our own destiny and not have our hands tied by being part of a union with a number of other countries.

Sir ,

it is a common thing that people talking about politics tend to adjust their arguments towards what they feel anyway . As with the famous example of cucumber-rule describing how much they would be allowed to bend people used this example to show how stupid the EU is ; in reality it was the agriculture industry which wanted it . And so forth . Putting Mr Farages arguments under a microscope would lead to amazing results in a multiple of cases . Such as Mr Cameron´s .

Half of Britain´s export goes into the EU , I wonder how free the UK shall feel after a successful Brexit without any influence on cucumber rules any more .

• Like 1

A long time ago, before Britain joined the EU, NZ exported basically all we could grow, shear, slaughter, fish and forest, to Britain.

This gave us, at the time, the 3rd highest standard of living in the developed world. It was this era that I was born into, jobs were plentiful, work easy and the rich-poor gap, was about £1 sixpence (pre decimal).

Then Britain joined the EU and our exports plummeted, so whilst we've survived, the experience for a lot of people here, is that of sinking lids, on lifestyles and opportunities.

My point is, that Bubi's observation on Britain's exports, is a prescient one and not to be underestimated.

• Like 1

Britain pre EU was near bankrupt. I guess it is where they will head to if they leave.

While the EU is not perfect, far from it. It is better than 26 nations squabbling with eachother and all making their own rules and regulations. The Euro is a blessing, certainly with the extortionate exchange rates in Europe. If you come to Europe and exchange money you will loose 10% on the exchange rate and a lot of money on top on commissions. I still do not understand why people not simply use ATM cards. It gets you way better rates anywhere in the world.

wearth,

Its 28 countries in the EU.

Would love to stay in Europe, but outside the EU.

Its some have the Euro, others not, North is richer, South is poor, no political union, too much power in Brussels.......

Then again, the UK leaving the EU today would be a catastrophy for the UK as well as for the EU.

Best to find solution withing the existing union.....

BB

Britain pre EU was near bankrupt. I guess it is where they will head to if they leave.

While the EU is not perfect, far from it. It is better than 26 nations squabbling with eachother and all making their own rules and regulations. The Euro is a blessing, certainly with the extortionate exchange rates in Europe. If you come to Europe and exchange money you will loose 10% on the exchange rate and a lot of money on top on commissions. I still do not understand why people not simply use ATM cards. It gets you way better rates anywhere in the world.

I use the ATM here in Greece and they charge 3% on what you take out...I am not impressed. I could get better rates in Thailand at the money changers!

Really?

Proof and not opinions required

Well I read it in a piece by a historian, can't find it.

But I also know somewhere where I saw it and I looked it up for you.

It is approx minute 28 into: "Brexit the Movie". Where they show how Britain was ruined economically by the 70's and that's why they joined the EU! That whole movie is full of half truths btw. So that might also be. But still it is fascinating as an argument .... by the 70ties after centuries of self rule we were devastated economically. So we joined the EU we are prosperous again now lets leave the EU and try it ourselves again *FACEPALM*