2016 F1

bust

Fernando Alonso out of Bahrain GP with rib injury following lung collapse

http://www.bbc.com/s...rmula1/35934347

The raw statistics are impressive enough - sixth in the all-time winners' list, second in total points, third-highest number of podiums in history.

But the most impressive thing about Alonso is that he has achieved those feats despite hardly ever having the fastest car.

At 34 and coming up for three years since his last win, he remains the drivers' driver. He may not be quite the fastest on one lap, but he is arguably the best and most complete on the grid.

Remorseless and relentless, Alonso is one of the very few who can get the best out of whatever car he is given to drive, in whatever circumstances. He arguably gets closer to the limit more often than anyone else.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35936629

He's great to watch, unstoppable in a decent car and tenacious in whatever he's piloting. I've even begun to like the guy as he's matured... couldn't stand him when he was younger. He (and Flavio) have so badly mismanaged his career, leaving both Mclaren and Ferrari too soon imho, that he's got to be frustrated with what could have/should have been.

• 3 months later...

Interesting ...

'Mercedes non-executive chairman Niki Lauda has claimed Lewis Hamilton "destroyed" his room at the Mercedes office after Nico Rosberg took pole position in Baku in June. He also claims Hamilton "lied" about getting on better than ever with Rosberg.'

'Red Bull boss Christian Horner says Mercedes must consider if its current driver line-up is "tenable" in the long term after another collision between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg in Austria.'

http://www.bbc.com/s...rmula1/36701093

I saw a clip of Hamilton on the podium, with the crowd booing him, the presenter asked him to comment and he said "not my problem that's their problem", exhibiting an arrogance that only small men have.

Think 4 foot two

• Like 1

I saw a clip of Hamilton on the podium, with the crowd booing him, the presenter asked him to comment and he said "not my problem that's their problem", exhibiting an arrogance that only small men have.

Not too many big men in F1, as they can't fit into the cramped and tiny cockpits. And show me one of these guys without a healthy dose of arrogance. Nico clearly ran Hamilton wide and was penalized for it; the Austrian crowd didn't see it that way and felt the need to boo the podium showing both their ignorance and bias for their fair-haired boy. Nico has spent his entire life racing Lewis and unfortunately for him never quite measuring up. He's obviously desperate to beat his teammate this year, and if he can't (and loses again to him for the third time out of three championships) no telling who will be gone from Mercedes next season. As much as he is favored by Toto and Niki they may have to send him off if he doesn't produce a title, as these two don't seem to be able to keep from crashing into each other.

JULY 5, 2016

Austria crash won't change future decision says Rosberg

Nico Rosberg says the events in Austria on Sunday will not affect his decision about the future.

Although Mercedes boss Toto Wolff called Rosberg's collision with teammate Lewis Hamilton "brainless", the Austrian chief insisted it would not affect the negotiations over a new multi-year contract for the German driver.

And now, the Belgian source Sporza quotes Rosberg as saying: "The incident on Sunday will not change my decision.

"I had victory within reach and lost it, which was incredibly hard to take and disappointing, but in the end I lost a race and Hamilton won it -- that's it.

"I feel good at Mercedes," he added. "This is my racing family and I hope to stay here in the future."

http://www.grandprix...ns/ns34309.html

"... the Austrian crowd didn't see it that way and felt the need to boo the podium showing both their ignorance and bias for their fair-haired boy."

You should read the comments on the BBC. Most Brits posting seem to think Lewis is the Second Coming, the way they adore him. He can do no wrong, and if his car breaks down it is a "conspiracy". If Nico's car craps out, well ... he deserved it. I realise it's the BBC, with a largely UK following, but I sometimes get angry reading "Lewis is God" comments. They're all multimillionaires with egos as big as the Indian Ocean who are just doing a job. Hamilton is not "their boy", and Rosberg isn't Germany's either. Hell, his father is a Finn. They act like this is WWII all over again, and it is asinine.

Rosberg's was leading in the last lap of the long race and his brakes were starting to go. He was obviously desperate to hang on and he showed it. But remember what Hamilton said after the race - that he would do "anything to win" whether "right or wrong". Formula 1 is not a group of nice guys having a friendly race. It's all or nothing for them.

e.g. Jolyon Palmer was asked about Button and Hamilton: "I speak to them pretty rarely but everyone in Formula 1 is just focused on themselves. It's very dog-eat-dog, there are 22 of us and we are all looking after number one.

"There is no way I'd expect Jenson or Lewis to help me out because I'm the new kid on the block and ultimately I want to be beating them. I know if it was the other way round I don't think I'd be trying to help anyone else out who I was racing."