12 replies to this topic

#1 khunsanuk

khunsanuk

Board Admin

• Administrators
  • 24719 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:44

Hi,

Just wondering if people are still using Agoda through the link on the board? I was getting a steady amount of bookings until about early August. Not had a single one since.
Thing is that Agoda made some changes a while back as well, so not sure if everything is still working properly.

Sanuk!

#2 Stickman

Stickman

sheep shagger

• Members
  • 1753 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:38

My understanding is that Agoda changed the cookie settings.  In the past when you clicked on a link through to Agoda from this site, a cookie was stored on the user's computer.  It remained for however long and so long as that person made a booking on Agoda within the period of time that the cookie was still there, you, as the webmaster, received a commission.  However, my understanding is that now there are no commissions so the only way you get a commission is if someone clicks through to Agoda from a link at this site and makes the reservation there and then.  If they log off and come back later in the day, or the next day, then you don't get a commission.  A number of webmasters were up in arms over this when the policy changed, which I think was a number of months back.

#3 khunsanuk

khunsanuk

Board Admin

• Administrators
  • 24719 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:03

Hi,

Hmm, that might well be it. And yes, pretty nasty change that. Could result in quite a few missed commissions.

Sanuk!

#4 Mekong

Mekong

City Slicker

• Board Sponsors
  • 10164 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:40

Damn

I totally forgot about the Agoda link on this forum, I use Agoda about once a month for my weekend escapes in Ha Noi, will remember the extra 2-3 clicks next time to ensure booked via here.
風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain

#5 khunsanuk

khunsanuk

Board Admin

• Administrators
  • 24719 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:57

Hi,

Thanks. Sounds like your case is a prime example of what Stick mentioned. Those bookings would have resulted in a commission before they changed their cookie policy.

Sanuk!

#6 Stickman

Stickman

sheep shagger

• Members
  • 1753 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 19:32

FWIW, the Pattaya Addicts forums sends out a reminder email every month telling members to go to Pattaya Addicts, click on a link for Agoda and then make the booking to ensure Pattaya Addicts gets the commission.  It does not result in a higher cost or anything like that and Pattaya Addicts gets the commission.  No reason why you cannot do the same.

#7 YimSiam

YimSiam

• Board Sponsors
  • 2576 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:18

Inspired by this lively discussion, I have - twice, now, in one week - clicked directly through the ad and booked a room within minutes.  Hope KS gets his nickel out of Agoda!  I go up and down with them - they've improved on technical problems (the hotel has actually been informed that you're coming most of the time now, and have paid already...), and I'm comfortable with the interface.  Still more than a little suspicious that I am more than paying the equivalent upfront for my Agoda Miles, or whatever they are called - but hey, it's alright to occasionally realize I have a few free nights in my balance...  The fact that they have a full record of all my bookings over the years... fuck me... glancing through those hotels and dates and trying to pin a girl and a memory here and there, kinda damning stuff by conventional standards... "Your Honor, the Prosecution presents this list of bookings on Agoda, which speak for themselves.  The prosecution rests...."

Anyway, still a loyal user!

YimSiam

#8 khunsanuk

khunsanuk

Board Admin

• Administrators
  • 24719 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:52

Hi,

"Hope KS gets his nickel out of Agoda!"

Yes, should be getting these as I got 2 email notifications confirming a booking. Thanks! I will end up getting about 5% of the booking value.

Sanuk!

#9 YimSiam

YimSiam

• Board Sponsors
  • 2576 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:43

Five percent is not bad at all - if only you got a cut of the minibar tab and the other sundry expenses incurred, you'd have a good little income stream... I'll try to remember to click through in the future - hell, may even start using your amazon link...

#10 khunsanuk

khunsanuk

Board Admin

• Administrators
  • 24719 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:14

Hi,

Yeah, it adds up. They mention 35%, but that is only on their cut, not on the amount paid to the hotel. And even the 35% is more like 30% once they take out some fees and stuff. Still, it's easy money. Although I'm not gonna give up my day job :)

Sanuk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users