Golden Beer Bar Gone; Nana Disco Endures?

Fiery Jack

So Golden Beer Bar is no more. :rip: I had some good times in there. :drunk: End of an era. Thanks for the golden memories. :bow:

Here's a photo taken at 9AM in November 2012. (If I was in BKK that morning, I must've just nipped to the shithouse, :relieved: hence the vacant pew centre-right, my customary throne. :hug:)

GOLDEN-12-9am-PIC-MORNING.jpg

Where will we go now? :hmmm:

And what of Nana Hotel Disco? Is that on its way out, or already departed? :hmmm:

And what about the 'soulless franchise' bar that will take Golden's place? Opening scheduled for...? :drinking:

I'm running out of ideas here, lads. :sad: It feels like losing a limb. :wacko:

jack :help:

"The Golden Beer Bar closed on 30th September 2015, after first opening way back in 1997. It was located on Soi 4, a stones throw from Nana Plaza, and was connected to the long standing and iconic Nana Hotel. The owner has sold up and a soulless premium franchise bar and restaurant is due to take it’s place."

http://bangkok112.com/the-golden-beer-bar-closes/

As far as I know, the disco is still going. They started a 200 baht cover charge years ago though.

I can only remember being at the GBB a few times during in the daylight hours. I used to meet up with friends there in the evening fairly often though.

BB, I googled. According to Dave the Rave, the Equality is what used to be the Nana Disco. However, the management now advertises it as gender-friendly. That means khatoeys are welcome, and their coyote dancers will include some Caitlin Jenner types too. Beware of false packaging. :p

So Golden Beer Bar is no more. :rip: I had some good times in there. :drunk: End of an era. Thanks for the golden memories. :bow:

Where will we go now? :hmmm:

And what about the 'soulless franchise' bar that will take Golden's place? Opening scheduled for...? :drinking:

I'm running out of ideas here, lads. :sad: It feels like losing a limb. :wacko:

There is every chance that the clientele, may remain as the constant in all of this.

i.e. new decor, name, menu, uniforms, table advertising...

same customers

say no more...

Opening 1997? I must have been among first customers

Precisely my thoughts too, mate. :beer:

HONEST QUERY: if GBB is no more, where's a barely-functioning alcoholic Nana Hotel resident such as your Uncle Jack :applause: going to score his first sit-down bracer beer of the morning when he's 'off the wagon' in BKK now? What time do Hillary 4, Morning Night, Big Dogs etc. start serving? Any other viable options on Soi 4/Lower Suk (by 'viable' I mean places where neither serving staff nor fellow customers will openly snigger or smirk or even bat an eyelid if you order a beer at 9AM then drink 4 more before leaving less than an hour later :up:).

It's a serious question, lads. I'm a desperate man. :help:

Can't recall exactly :drunk: but I must've made my first trip to BKK in about 1995, immediately hooked, :drool: so thus and thereafter visiting on average twice a year right up to the present day. :applause:

For the first couple of awestruck wonder years I was still optimistically clutching at straws re. blithely maintaining the crazed and facile delusion (despite consistently overwhelming evidence to the contrary :doah:) that I wasn't just a pissed-up sex-tourist wastrel, so I used to stay at the Siam Square Novotel, never once making it into bed before dawn nor out of bed for breakfast, and spending almost all of my time in Lower Sukhumvit. :drinking:

By 1997, I'm sure I'd have smilingly accepted my rakish fate and been booking into the Nana Hotel like a pig after truffles, and thus parking my arse on a Golden Bar stool most mornings, with all the other kindred like-minded lunatics and gypsies, tramps, and thieves. :hug:

And that (at least the hotel), dear friends, is where you'll find me this December and twice a year thereafter until I perish of drink or they bulldoze the Nana Hotel down. :clown:

jack :help: