Vietnam Approves Controversial $16 Bn Mega Airport

cavanami

...they are coming after Swampypoo...

Vietnam approves controversial $16 bn mega airport

http://news.yahoo.com/vietnam-approves-controversial-16-bn-mega-airport-101004146.html

Lawmakers in Vietnam voted Thursday to build a controversial new $16 billion airport near Ho Chi Minh City, as the country vies to become one of the world's busiest aviation hubs.

The project aims to ease airport congestion in Vietnam's business hub and cater to an ambitious 100 million passengers and five million tonnes of cargo a year by 2050.

"Building the international Long Thanh airport has been approved by the National Assembly with 86 percent of votes in favour," the communist state said in a posting on its government website, adding the new airport would be built around 40 kilometres (25 miles) from the city...

Well Vietnam has a larger population than Thailand and on average a much younger one! Thailands populations stagnates and turns grey. When I was there for a couple of days shooting a commercial I got a much better impression from the Viets I met then the Thais I meet in Thailand.

I believe Vietnams future is brighter than Thailands. But this is a personal opinion

Vietnam is trying to open up as of 1 July 2015 majority of EU, US, AUS and NZ passport holders will be granted 15 days permission to stay on arrival which they expect to attract more casual tourists who are currently put off by having to apply for an invitation letter to issues a Visa on Arrival. . Sai Gon is crying out for a new airport, Than Son Nhat is bursting at the seams and with no room for expansion Long Thanh is the only logical solution. Since Noi Bai in Ha Noi got a shiny new terminal earlier this year it is now the South's turn.

Waerth,

I respect your personal opinion but lets just say the impression was made upon you after being in VN for a couple of days as opposed to being in TH for well over a decade and being able to speak the language, try working / living in VN for a couple of years and you will soon realise that is is the same bullshit served up as a different flavour, I have a work associate who is based in Sai Gon but has frequent long weekends in Bangkok, he thinks it is the Bees Knees, again perceptions of a place due to amount of exposure.

Vietnam is expanding at a phenomenal rate but it has many years to go before it is on par with Thailand (my opinion) but that being said it is more preferable to be working in VN than previous assignments in the Middle East.

• Like 1