Can She Know I Arrived In The Country?

YimSiam

Gentlemen, the last two times I flew into Suvarnabhumi this year, I got a call on my depressing, sturdy and featureless $20 Nokia within about fifteen minutes of slipping in my Thai SIM. Lady from a bar, no advance notification of my arrival, she says she just had a feeling I might be back and wanted to see if my phone was on. No evidence that she's been doing the same every hour of every day for the last couple months, calling me to see if the phone is on.

Two times, with such promptness - leads me to ask: is there a way she can know if I have come into the country and activated my SIM in my phone? If she'd need my phone to do that, sure she's been alone with it many times - but it's just your basic not-smart Nokias, no features beyond calls, SMS, calculator, and bottle opener (it's all in the angle, and using leverage, of course.)

Any one else have this happen often? Uncanny knowledge of arrival, after months away? Before I even got to Immigration?

Please don't tell me I'm going to have to fall back on a variety of 'oh my Buddha, she black magic phone you!"

YimSiam

I would suspect that the answer lies in either the WhatsApp or the LIne applications. Your phone may not display these apps - I'm unclear on how "unintelligent" your phone is. But her phone may highlight one of these apps, to show that your local SIM is now activated. All that matters is if - during an earlier visit - your SIM card (and phone number) were enrolled in one of these free programs.

Cheers!

MS

Then there is the bar girl grape vine of old.

But the answer lies in "within about fifteen minutes of slipping in my Thai SIM", a fool proof test, would be to not slip in your SIM, next time, mind you, no phone calls from anywhere would be forthcoming :)

I think Stone Soup has it right.

Given it is a $20 Nokia there is no way it is a Smart Phone with Apps like LINE or WhatsApp.

I also don't believe that is how it works. She can only link your number after you accept an invite which would be clearly unlikely.

Hi,

It's very simple. If you call a phone in Thailand and it is not available for whatever reason, you will receive an SMS as soon as it becomes available again. So, all she needs to do is call it every now and then and wait for the SMS.

Not sure if there is a time limit between calling and being notified of it being available again.

Sanuk!

• Like 2