Airport Taxi Update

cavanami

I consider it a quid pro quo. If the driver plays fair then so do I. So whilst I pay the airport surcharge, it's stated and known about, whilst I pay the toll charges as well, provided he uses the meter, doesn't bitch about being a poor taxi driver or whinge about rich farang much money, then at the stop I will usually round things up nice for him. So if the meter says 225 I might even go to 300 depending on what I have but unlikely I'd give less than 250 in any case. The ones who bitch and whinge are play funny buggers with the meter are more likely to get the exact amount.

I took the bus from Ekaimai to Pattaya and at the bus station, I took the baht bus the name of the hotel, he said 50 baht. Had I not said anything and got on the baht bus, it would have been 20 baht to stop at any location on beach road.

On my return to the bus station, I waved a baht bus and took him that I needed to go to the bus station, he said 100 baht.

Another driver said 200 baht. I saw a tourist paid that amount. I simply took a bus who proceeded to where I needed to

connect to another bus. That was 10 baht and my connecting bus was also 10 baht!

The bus from Ekaimai to Pattaya and vice versa costs 119 baht one way. Can't see paying 100 baht from the hotel to the bus station!

Taxi into Bangkok should be in the 400 baht range, including the 75 bath highway toll and 50 baht

surcharge!

Correct. My last visit in December last year the meter fare (airport to Suk Soi 29) was B215, surcharge B50, tolls B75 = B340. He got B400 and appeared to be more than happy with that.

Beach Road was closed to traffic for 3 days for a music festival. Traffic was horrible, and the taxi drivers were demanding 300 baht to go anywhere in the city. The baht bus was still 20 baht though.

When I left Pattaya about ten days ago baht buses en route were 10 baht.

The boyfriend, myself and another couple decided on a night out in Sukhumvit just recently, the guys shared the cost of the inward journey. Whilst there by chance, we met another couple, and we are all mutual friends, living very close to each other. Naturally we all spent the evening together. Time to come home in the very early hours. Short dilemma do we search out, and the bother of looking for two taxi's or opt for one, everyone choose the latter.

• 1 month later...

Here in front of myself on my desk is the following paper :

AOT Airport

Queue number 5585

Lane number 18

Driver Prapot Kantisin

etc .....

05/05/2558

Time 07:20:58

Car inside showed no photo but offered Name driver : Surapan

Rented cab , no buddhas, amulets, flowers or paintings above

Cab pulled back from departure gate 18

" I want to Landmark Hotel . Close Sukhumvit Soi 4 . You know ? "

" Sick hunded baht "

" Meter "

" Fai hundet Baht "

" Meter "

" How mutt you pay ?

" Meter "

" Ok you pay tollway "

Prapot / Surapan left expressway at junction Sukhumvit and turned left again crossing a railway and then passing along hundreds of mobile kitchens parked at daytime . Turned right using various backyards and then drove frontally into a concrete wall , speaking the word " Oah " . A security man came running at us , Prapot fired engine and left critical area . Car then making rattling noise front right which made Prapot/Surapan stop and inspect possible damage . Came back after dealing with front bumber resulting in a cracking noise and green half front bumper sailing towards side of the road not far from Soi 4 . Prapot then speaking to himself in Thai for estimated 3 minutes and continuation of journey along Annies Massage entering carpark . Arrival at carpark exit made me pay 20 Baht parking fees , Prapong turned right , then left again and I was close to call in the special forces til I realised we were again heading for Hotel Landmark . Arrival there after another 3 minutes . Never a relief has been more endless than this one .

Somebody cam to deal with luggage , I circled round the object to get a general view of the scenery and found Prapot looking at the car with half the bumper missing and a lamp hanging on 3 cables swinging with the wind . I would like to add that Khun Prapot probably a long time ago got rid of his lower front teeth possibly after hitting his first concrete wall and if sadness needs to be put into something figurative it was Prapot/Surapan and his broken Taxi meter . I hesitate to think what the rental company told him on arrival in the evening . I recommended to abandon the car somewhere and emigrate to Lao . I gave him 1000 Baht .

Boardmembers wishing to verify the truth of this story could PM me for details , his number telephone is on the AOT slip .

PS : Events like this make make me love the Kingdom and his citizens more than anything else , my last words before the start nailing the coffin shall be : Thank you Siam for everything . I am in tears .

• Like 1