Travellers Who Paid Thousands Of Baht For Air Tickets Should Not Negotiate Over A Few Hundred Baht For A Taxi Fare

waerth

Not much different in Japan although they are more expensive it seems.....

" Fare calculation is almost always by the meter. The only exceptions are on a few popular tourist and airport routes where a predetermined, flat rate is offered."

When using a standard four-passenger taxi, fares typically start around 600-700 yen for the first two kilometers and increase by around 80-90 yen for every additional 300-400 meters traveled. The cost also increases when the taxi is not moving for a prolonged time. Late in the evening (typically 10pm to 5am), rates are raised by typically 20 percent. Eventual expressway toll fees incurred during the trip are added to the fare.

Taxi fares differ slightly according to region, company and size of the vehicle. You would typically encounter three classes of taxis. Large taxis (大型車, Ågatasha) have engine capacities above 2000cc and carry up to five passengers. Medium taxis (中型車, chÅ«gatasha) and small taxis (å°åž‹è»Š, kogatasha) are the most numerous, have engine capacities 2000cc or less, and carry up to four passengers. Medium and small taxis only differ in the length of the vehicle and therefore the size of the passenger compartment.

<p abp="1229">" This week, the taxi problems became big news again after a Japanese man, Akihiro Tomikawa, vented his frustration on his Facebook page after a taxi driver refused to turn on the meter, and instead wanted to charge him a flat rate of 700 baht from Suvarnabhumi airport to Saphan Khwai. "<br abp="1230" />

<br abp="1231" />

From the article in this post above I was pointing out in Japan where Mr Akihiro Tomikawa comes from taxi's at airports charge a flat rate, so it should have come as no supprise to him. As far as the subject matter is concerned I agree farangs think nothing of spending large amounts of money on flights and hotels, which total thousands of baht, but then have a problem with charges of taxi's including the very odd ones that might try it on to over charge by a few hundred baht  ..  we are talking very small money here, like cigarette money or a beer or two  .............   Anyway justice has been done, and the driver has lost his permit to work out of the airport.</p>

You see honey ..... whatever is standard in Japan is not applicable to Thailand. Or should I expect taxi's here to charge me the Dutch taxifare?

Also this is not about that taxidriver and whether justice has been done. It is about the head of the Suvi taxi association justifying scamming people who came of a plane. Do not get the topics mixed up please.

And to say that farangs think nothing of spending thousands of bahts on flights and hotels is a statement so stupid I will not even begin on that.

I'm entitled to comment as you are never mind you don't agree ... You say about prices, of course they will go up in line with other countries as will happen in time in the meanwhile you can talk of prices as they are now ....

Hi,

"As far as the subject matter is concerned I agree farangs think nothing of spending large amounts of money on flights and hotels, which total thousands of baht, but then have a problem with charges of taxi's including the very odd ones that might try it on to over charge by a few hundred baht"

It is the principle. There is a price set for services / goods, and people expect to pay that price regardless of other circumstances.

I'm quite certain you would not be happy it you had to pay twice as much for your meal as the person sitting at the table next to you, just because you make twice as much money.

And it is not 'think nothing off spending large amounts', but it is spending that because that is what it costs.

Sanuk!

• Like 1