Fiery Jack's Perennial Sukhumvit-Hotel-With-Good-Outdoor-Pool Question

Fiery Jack

Like a moth to a flame — a stinking decrepit flame well past its sell-by date whose carpets are musty, whose clientele (and I include myself) resemble a ragbag assortment of alkies and weirdos and loons and goons and ne'er-do-wells :bang::dunce::_pumpkin::troll::clown: that make the f*cking Addams Family look normal — I return to the Nana Hotel, time after time, as old Cyndi Lauper sings. :applause:

I tell myself that there are 2 good reasons for this. :liar: In fact there are 3. (Reason 3, trivia fans, is that once old Fiery jack's got a few drinks down his throat he's drawn to Nana Plaza and the tuppenny tarts therein like a pig after truffles. :hubbahubba: ) The 2 reasons I more readily, and more publicly, admit to are: 1) the Nana Hotel and surrounding area are great for 'people watching' :bang::dunce::_pumpkin::troll::clown:, and, 2) I like a good outdoor pool (and one that's bigger than a postage stamp, thank you kindly) and I haven't found a hotel with a better or better-sized pool in Bangkok, though surely there must be one?

To cut to the chase (or as near to it as your old pal Ramblin' Jacky's ever gonna get... :help:), I'll be in BKK next week and have already booked online at the Nana Hotel, but I can always cancel that without loss of monies or face, since all they ask for is your, ahem, 'name'. :liar: To be honest, the last time I stayed there (last September: see Trip reports) I did find myself thinking 'F*ck's sake, this place really is a f*cking dump!' :doah: on more than one occasion (in fact one every occasion I was sober (so, in fact, on exactly one occasion: when I checked in)). Plus, it's not that cheap now, considering what a shit hole it has become. And, anyway, I'll be over on a 'business' trip :drunk:, so I won't be paying. :up:

QUESTION: Are there any decent, tart-friendly hotels on (Lower) Sukhumvit that have a good outdoor pool? (Hotels farther afield considered, as long as they're tart friendly.)

Thanks, lads. :hug: Hope someone can suggest somewhere, or Nana it is, again... :(

jack :help:

I don't like suggesting Hotels as everyones taste is different. I did used to stay at the Sharma as it was convenient and has a great infinity pool on the rooftop. But it is 90% Arab guests if that doesn't bother you. Upside of that was they are all in town for surgery at Bumrungrad so rarely use the pool.

Racha has a decent pool and you can watch all the punters in Strikers :)

• Like 1

hotel solo soi 2. easy walk to nana, soi 4 and the lower suk carnival (they also supply a comp tuk tuk if you're feeling lazy). pool is clean and absent of weird shit. a bit yuppified but the rooms are fucking sweet and inexpensive. guest friendly if you want to have mates over for tea.

Fully booked on the dates I want, mate. But thanks. :up:

jack :help:

Royal President, Suk Soi 15. The pool is smaller than the Nana pool, but quite nice as far as I can tell. Very well-run, guest-friendly.

When I added what the Nana Hotel was charging for hourly internet access (somehow, the witches at the cashier's desk NEVER had the daily tickets, even though they advertised them) to the room rate, that was the end of my staying at Nana Hotel. They cost me more than what Royal President cost, and Royal President was and is a MUCH nicer hotel. (I also get the impression that the Nana Hotel has gone downhill considerably since I was last there.)