Restaurant Observations , Assorted

buffalo_bill

Best Tex-Mex? You've obviously never lived on the Mexican border, as I did long before the rest of the US even knew what a tortilla was (early 1950s) .

However, I admit the last time it was there It did actually taste somewhat like Tex-Mex food. Six or seven years ago it wasn't even remotely close. I'd order it there again.

p.s. One of my favourites as a kid ...

http://www.laposta-de-mesilla.com/

The mushroom cultivator confirmed that none of them spoke any Thai Khun Flashermac , not that it worried me .

Mr Stonesoup , we had beef from Argentina over Christmas here in Jeormany . The El gaucho material in comparison has been an insult looking at the pricing . What they supplied as vegetabled made me dream of the street food vendor rear end of Patpong 2, another of my daytime hotspots . Not that I fancy Patpong , just for the record . Only because we had received drinks already I did not escape from the El Gaucho premises , I am still angry when I think of it . Madame did even agree on a reasonable discount when checkbin time for services, assorted came next morning because she felt guilty . Hardcore freelancer by the way but good heart . No prompremm .

Hello BB -

I first visited in September 2012 - here was my write-up: http://t2.thai360.com/index.php?/topic/58540-restaurant-review-el-gaucho/ , and I last visited in maybe June or July 2013 - so things may have gone down hill over the past 18 months. But - I stand by my original observations - as of the date they were written.

Cheers!

SS

Flash, we'll agree to disagree.

I never lived on the Mexican border. I did, however, live in Austin, Dallas, and Fort Worth for quite a number of years, and I've spent time in Tampa Bay and El Lay. To date, Charley Brown's is the best I've found anywhere. Second place probably goes to Pancho's in Manhattan Beach CA.

Amazing value can still be found in ,eg.the small place just across the road from the Immigration office in Udon.A meal for 2 with 4 different dishes + rice,came to a grand total of 70 bt !Look for the sign ' jay ' outside -yes,no meat I'm afraid.

If it's still around, the Santi Asoke veg restaurant at Jatujak was fantastic. Every kind of Thai food imaginable, all veg though ... and with free bowls of fruit. It was dirt cheap and was run non-profit as one of their services. I used to love going over there, before traffic got so bad in Bangkok.

But if it's veg you want, to go to Shoshana - the Israeli restaurant next to KSR. Stick to the veg dishes and pig out. (Well.. you know what I mean. :shakehead ) BTW beer is veg too. I'd usually have falafal, humus, chips, a salad and pita bread. Wash it down with a big beer. Total well under 200 baht.

http://shoshanarestaurant.com/

So - BB evidently had bad US beef. I will see about paying a revisit to the place sometime soon.

I cannot remember what I have eaten due to having been focussed on the Beergarden mushroom cultivator . Next time I shall refuse entering anything that looks like a falang place . Long live my Soi7/1 eatery .