Sydney Siege: Backtrack Over Post That Inspired #illridewithyou

Flashermac

GAPS have appeared in the story that inspired the #illridewithyou Twitter phenomenon.

University lecturer Rachael Jacobs had originally posted a status on Facebook, explaining how she offered to protect a woman who felt uncomfortable wearing her hijab.

According to her story, Ms Jacobs had seen the woman beginning to remove her scarf, and ran after her, saying “Put it back on. I’ll walk with you.â€

The exchange took place on a Brisbane train, while the Sydney siege was taking place in Sydney’s Martin Place.

However Rachael Jacobs has admitted that she “editorialised’’ parts of her story.

“Confession time. In my Facebook status, I editorialised. She wasn’t sitting next to me. She was a bit away, towards the other end of the carriage,†she wrote.

Detailing her thought process, Ms Jacobs now says she wondered if she even needed to help.“She might not even be Muslim or she could have just been warm!†she wrote.

The hashtag continues to divide people on social media, with some lauding it as Australia’s way of combating Islamophobia.

Others say it detracts from the real tragedy of two people being murdered at Martin Place.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/sydney-siege-backtrack-over-post-that-inspired-illridewithyou/story-fnqxbywy-1227160626854?nk=90e277a5082c082ebaa5cf9995bb096a