Best Phone Service To Usa

gawguy

I usually use Skype to deal with business in the US, but over the past weeks there has been a period when Skype was not functioning. I would call, but the person on the other end could not hear me. Sometimes their phone would not ring. Sometimes calls were dropped.

The weather was bad here - there was rain in my vicinity for days on end. If wasn't raining directly on my location, there was cloud cover and rain threatening.

I have a cheap Samsung phone available that needs a new SIM card as I am using that SIM card in a new phone. I don't want to use the old number for my business calls. Is there a service for international calls that is better than others. And more reliable? (I call USA exclusively)

When bad weather comes thru is international phone service affected like Skype was?

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

I use localphone (https://www.localphone.com) - works just as good if not better than Skype.

Plus, can sign up for a USA number - cost just a dollar per month to have that.

I haven't heard of this service and it is very interesting. I've just read their web page now and I think it might fill a real need for me. I want to make calls to certain people in USA from LOS, but I don't want a LOS number to appear to them... I don't want +66 to show up anywhere and I don't want them to be able to search it out. I want my location to show as USA +1. Does this service work like that??

I can't call these people with Skype even when it's working well because +66 comes up at the beginning of the incoming number they see.

I'm really glad you responded and I hope you'll answer this question too.

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

Does this service work like that??

Yes, exactly and more. You can call from your computer or mobile phone (install the program on the computer, or App on the phone). Then when you call out, you can show whatever number you have verified with them. I have my home number, work number, 3 mobile phones that I can show as the number callling from. Also can show my localphone USA number, or an InternetPhone number, my SIP number or even Hide the number.

I use it often (also to the USA) and works at least as good if not sometimes clearer than Skype. Skype has gotten better over the years too.

Finally - I divert my USA number to call my Thailand mobile phone - and when it diverts the call it also passes through the original number - so I can see who is calling me.

Very cheap to use. Highly recommended.

So..PM..What kind of info do I need to give to register. I'll give them USA phone #, address, bank acct or pay pal info. How do they verify my home phone if I'm not there? They can leave a message code or something. I get the messages via email. Do they need more than that?

I don't like giving personal info..

GG

Looks like the standard registration details (name/email and contact details). You do not have to use your own phone number - this is just optional if you want to show it as Caller ID.

They have Credit Card and Paypal for buying credit.

They verify the numbers by auto call message, so yes someone would need to be there to answer if you wanted to use that number for your Caller Id. But again, not required - you could use your own USA mobile number, or you can buy a new USA number for $1 per month. I picked a number in the LAX area, which ends up showing that I'm calling from Beverly Hills!

OK sounds good. Looks like I will wait until I'm home in Dec so I can use my home phone number. It takes voice msgs and sends them as attachments to email.

I'm not sure this is "THE" solution to my original problem of Skype breaking down in bad weather. I don't have or want a smart phone so I can't download app, so I use my laptop via aircard connected to True.

I'm also not sure using a regular phone with a True SIM will overcome the weather problem. Those calls might get broken or dropped same as Skype was. I had a couple of business emergencies during that period of foul weather and had to use a "work around" to communicate. Thus my original post. When I saw info about LocalPhone I was interested because it served that other function of not showing my location and that is a step in the right direction.

Any comments regarding those issues would be much appreciated.

Thanks

GG

Truemove Sim has two international calling connections: 'low cost' at 1 bt per minute and 'first class' at 3 bt per minute. The 'low cost' has worked fine for me. I don't know what the technical differences are between the two; but the chances of getting through to US during a storm will likely improve by using first class.

Truemove Sim has two international calling connections: 'low cost' at 1 bt per minute and 'first class' at 3 bt per minute. The 'low cost' has worked fine for me. I don't know what the technical differences are between the two; but the chances of getting through to US during a storm will likely improve by using first class.

I agree with ZZZZ. I bought True Happy Tourist sims card from Tuk Com and 7/11 for 49 baht for my trips in 2013 and 2014. In 2013, I used only the 3bt/min rate without any problems for calls from Thailand to USA. In 2014, I am using the 1 bt/min rate without any problems and I cannot tell the difference between the two rates. In 2014, I bought 300 baht extra minutes and the sims card is good for 60 days. No problems so far on Thailand to USA calls. I have an old Samsung T309 clam shell type phone.