How Thaksin Bought Power - 2001 Documentary Abc Australia

JaiRai

"A few months shy of 14 years old and pretty damn interesting."

That's jail bait! :surprised:

p.s. When the T-man was first running for PM, I asked my students how they were voting. About 2/3rd said they'd vote for Takky. The reason? "We've tried everyone else, so we may as well try him." The other 1/3rd said he was a blow-hard who did very little as a deputy PM and they just plain didn't trust him. Looks like the 1/3rd was right.

• Like 2

I'll bite - was the other third right? If so, one would expect that the prior 2/3rds would have changed their mind after a round... or two... of elections, and stopped voting for the 'new' option. But that didn't happen - people kept voting for the 'what the hell, I'll try him' option, years after they first 'tried'. They tried, they liked, they voted again... and again... and even for his sister! You're a professorial type - what's your logic to saying that 'he's a blow-hard', when he's has been repeated chosen whenever people have a chance - no matter what untrustworthy stuff he's done, as well. The logic I see is: "if the military has to step in to remove you and your family, despite the will of the people, you must be some kind of blow-hard". Doesn't stick, Teach...

YimSiam

I'll bite - was the other third right? If so, one would expect that the prior 2/3rds would have changed their mind after a round... or two... of elections, and stopped voting for the 'new' option. But that didn't happen - people kept voting for the 'what the hell, I'll try him' option, years after they first 'tried'. They tried, they liked, they voted again... and again... and even for his sister! You're a professorial type - what's your logic to saying that 'he's a blow-hard', when he's has been repeated chosen whenever people have a chance - no matter what untrustworthy stuff he's done, as well. The logic I see is: "if the military has to step in to remove you and your family, despite the will of the people, you must be some kind of blow-hard". Doesn't stick, Teach...

YimSiam

Vote buying, populist (and broken) promises just to name a few

YimSiam

Ummm ... I suspect most of the 2/3rds of my university students did change their minds. And the "blow-hard" label was my students'. Try reading more carefully and don't let your own prejudices get in the way. ;)

All sides have been convicted of vote buying, weird thing about vote buying is it doesn't even cover the cost of going home on a bus and voting!

Populist policies? Gee what percentage of global politicians are elected for not doing that?

He did some smart things, roads got built that didn't dissolve when it rained, he put a lot of money at the bottom so it trickled up.

Mistakes, too many to mention, he should have provided equal attention to the South as he did to the North East, drug policy, etc

In this "but he did good things too" argument, it is worth remembering that the majority of politicians in most western democracies, do a lot of good things and do so for a salary (often a good salary).

They very rarely make themselves and their ilk, billionaires in the process.

• Like 2