The 10 Best Places To Retire Overseas In 2014

cavanami

Here's another one...

The 10 best places to retire overseas in 2014

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-best-places-retire-overseas-142702453.html

1. Algarve, Portugal. Portugal's Algarve is the best place in the world to retire in 2014. This Atlantic coastal region is already home to more than 100,000 resident expat retirees and offers the best of the old world,...

2. Cuenca, Ecuador. Cuenca is a charming, walkable colonial city in the highlands of Ecuador, meaning the climate year-round is spring-like. The cost of living is low (though rising) and the cost of real estate is near rock bottom for Latin America. The health care is high quality, honest and inexpensive...

3. George Town, Malaysia. George Town is a busy, thriving city with a large expat community that has managed to retain its colonial charm (it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site). The city is affordable, with a tropical climate, an intriguing culture and gorgeous white-sand beaches.

George Town's total population is about 740,000, small enough that it's easy to make friends and meet people, yet big enough to mean health care that meets international standards and easy availability of the goods and services most retirees are looking for...

4. Chiang Mai, Thailand. Chiang Mai has been luring expats from the west for many years with its low cost of living and great weather. The high quality health care and health-related services are also big pluses for foreign retirees. Chiang Mai boasts modern infrastructure and an abundance of Western amenities. It's also a place where it can be possible for foreign retirees to find work if they're interested in supplementing their retirement nest eggs or simply looking to become involved in their new community. Many Westerners are employed in Chiang Mai in language schools, universities, medical facilities and tourist-related industries.

5. Dumaguete, Philippines. In addition to its welcoming, friendly, English-speaking people, Dumaguete boasts a warm, tropical climate and lots of opportunity for outdoor adventures, including world-class diving and snorkeling and whale and dolphin watching...

The writer has her head up her posterior. I like Georgetown - one word BTW, Ms Expert - but Malaysia requires you to bring in more than double the amount of money needed for a retirement visa in Thailand. Also, nice as it is, one could be very bored in Georgetown quite quickly. As to Chiang Mai's "low cost of living and great weather," the little city has grown tremendously in recent years and is almost as expensive as Bangkok. It is also hard to get around in now, unless you have your own car - which means traffic jams are the order of the day. And great weather? The wally who wrote this obviously has never heard of the terrible smog days from illegal burning, plus the periodic floods - one of which has just hit CM again.

post-98-0-52086800-1410150990_thumb.jpg

http://www.chiangmai...rent/news.shtml

Maybe I should be a travel writer. I could write about places I know nothing about too. :hmmm:

p.s. #10 on this list of winners is Istanbul. I'm sure plenty of folks are just dying to spend their retirement in Turkey.

This reminds me of a Thonburi klong tour I wrote years ago for a magazine I edited. A friend did it and said the beautiful murals I'd mentioned in an old temple had all been painted over. He asked why I hadn't noticed that. I told him I'd never been there. I just looked at a map and figured how far you could go by boat in an afternoon, then described what was at each stop you could make along it. His jaw dropped. I explained that I didn't have enough time to do go there, so I did it the lazy man's way. :)