Thai Junta Sets Plan For Fast Rail Links To China

cavanami

Talk is cheap. Show me a train in Thailand that has been upgraded in the past 30 years.

Even the rails are knackered. They merely wait for accidents and apply ointment as necessary.

Trains were great in the 1970s and '80s, and I often rode them around the country. Nowadays, the SRT is run down and neglected. There wouldn't be a need for a high speed system, it they had just kept up the system they already had.

• Like 1

Much of the Hope-less pillars have disappeared to make way for the MRT red line now being constructed out to Rangsit.

A problem that seems totally unaddressed is that (not only) Thailand seems obsessed with project based building. Of course this is a great way to create "pension schemes" but were they serious about railways, or any other large scale infra-structure operation there would be a continuous budget that would allow for building, maintaining and upgrading as necessary and over the years and decades ahead. It seems there are so many areas where a budget is granted and a project is built with no thought about funding for maintenance and upgrades such that it's a constant process of going back to the bosses to beg for more.

which station west of the river does not seem complete to you mr nakon nowhere? sure it does not quite reach the double samuts our west or even nakhon pathum but before you know it will!

as for color line trains as one would notice they are everywhere and bangsue area is in complete transformation into a mega hub station so mark my words SRT may be the next big success after PTT shin etc!

burma will find it hard to bypass LOS in its way to bridge china ;)

The MRT in Bang Kae has been under construction for almost 10 years! I drive thru that area and more often then not, there

are zero workers at site!

The Sukhumvit extension is still under construction.

Drive thru Phrapadaeng, more like sit in traffic due to the 10 years of "construction"...more like non-construction!

im the master of geogra[hy be my guest to try and cross that 900+km border :)

anyway if the 'speed' trains gonna go from like saraburi to beijing who in bkk gonna use it without linkage? its gonna be like the airportlink v3.69:)

as to constuction jams sure they are there and some like to drive above them!

the thing is everything may be ready except some vital part like tracks on the pillars or electricity but then they still keep the roads blocked...

anyway other cities like jakarta (or hanoi?) still dont have their first mrt, bts but at least some nice SRts (high speed lane buses)

Sorry Cav but the Blue line extension in Bang Khae only started construction 4 or 5 years ago. Same for the latest extensions to the BTS. So cannot have been 10 years. Unless there were other construction projects ongoing in the areas. Also more BTS extensions are planned from Morchit to Lamlukka. And a Blue Line extension all the way to Om Noi is proposed. The red lines of the SRT are also under construction and so is double tracking and upgrading of the Rail system around the country. They have already been busy for years.

I advise the board members to read the 2Bangkok forum on the infra projects before they make statements about nothing happening.

WF.

China already has the infrastructure it needs in place in Myanmar the Sino-Burma Oil and Gas Pipelines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Burma_pipelines

They offered the Burmese a token gesture to import Gas from the Shwe offshore field with the motive of having a west coast of SE Asia Oil & Gas Terminal for cheap imports from the Middle East, a damn sight easier to sail North East across the Bay of Bengal have a terminal at Kyaukphyu on Ramree Island and a Pipeline to Kunming than to sail through the Malacca Strait around the tip of Singapore and then up the East Sea (South China Sea) then up to East of China where the deep sea ports exist.

Not only an extra few days by Sea but also the ports would be further away / longer pipelines required from where the Oil and Gas is required in China, in Yunnan South West China.

A nation that controls the Hydrocarbons controls its own destiny.

Sorry Cav but the Blue line extension in Bang Khae only started construction 4 or 5 years ago. Same for the latest extensions to the BTS. So cannot have been 10 years. Unless there were other construction projects ongoing in the areas. Also more BTS extensions are planned from Morchit to Lamlukka. And a Blue Line extension all the way to Om Noi is proposed. The red lines of the SRT are also under construction and so is double tracking and upgrading of the Rail system around the country. They have already been busy for years.

I advise the board members to read the 2Bangkok forum on the infra projects before they make statements about nothing happening.

My statements are based on driving that way a few times a week for the past 10 years!

Up close and personal!!

The extensions had been promised since Mr. T's time but squat had been done...Mochit extension??? they spoke of an extension to Pattaya, which has never even started...now they talk of a hi-speed rail....throw the BS flag...

...but then again, there has been a 30% "surcharge" on construction projects, like the airport...soooo, some have to secure their retirement $$$$