kG2hymc.jpgSkh7di3.jpg

MAE HONG SON — A school in Mae Hong Son province is investigating a teacher who allegedly attempted to saw off the ear of one of her 4-year-old students.

Parents of the boy said the Kindergarten teacher punished him in the classroom by using a metal ruler to cut his left ear. The incident reportedly took place on 17 July inside the school, which is located in Mae Sarian district.

According to his parents, the child needed five stitches.

School director Praewnapha Thamniamton said an investigation has been launched into the incident. The teacher's identity has not yet been made public.

Ms. Praewnapha said the school administrators have twice received complaints from parents about the teacher's violent punishment of her students.

"We already put her on probation and the teacher promised us she would not do such thing again," said Ms. Praewnapha.

As for the latest case of alleged violence, the teacher insisted on her innocence, yet all of the students in the classroom said she was guilty, Ms. Praewnapha said.

"We will find facts about this and give fairness to all sides," the school director said.

Corporal punishment is common in Thai public schools, where students are subject to rigorous discipline and uniformity.

http://en.khaosod.co...wsid=1406110148 (23/07/14)

I have no idea how Thailand trains teachers today, but I definitely think it has gone backwards. Wannabe teachers formally would study at a teacher training college for 4 years before they could teach primary school. It took another two years at a Srinakarinwirot University campus to get a BEd and be qualified for secondary schools. By the time a student had completed the BEd, they had a total of 6 years of teacher training, including 3 semesters of student teaching. The teacher colleges have all been turned into rachaphat universities, whose purpose seems to be so that students not good enough for the top level universities will have some place to go. From what I gather, one now studies for a BA, then takes a semester or two of teacher training and has to pass a written test. It can hardly compare with the old system.

p.s. I spent 5 years in teacher training at SWU when I first came to Thailand. I taught only the last two years, the cream of the teacher college graduates, since only 60 were admitted at each campus for each major per year. (There were 5 SWU campuses, which accepted graduates for any of the 40 or so teacher colleges by competitive examination.)

I don't know about short changed, but I got whacked a few times. There was always a wooden paddle hanging in every classroom to remind us what would happen if we misbehaved. Also, the school principle saw me throwing snowballs at a friend on my way home when I was 10 or 11. He called me in the next day and wrote up a "pink slip" on me. I protested that it happened after school, but he said it didn't matter since I hadn't got home yet. He warned me that pink slip would follow me the rest of my life! It didn't keep me out of the Army though. And at least I had my ears. :dunno:

post-98-0-80440100-1406290714_thumb.gif