Age Difference - does it matter ?

gobbledonk

Someone made the point that one of the things which clearly signifies a Farang/BG couple is the age difference. Personally, I didnt care when I WAS with a B/G, but what if the couple are actually married ?

As I'm sure that several of the board members are married to Asian women, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

The, ahem, 'theoretical' pairing I'm talking about is a Farang in his mid-40's and an Asian woman in her mid-twenties. Both look younger than their chronological age, but nature is more likely to catch up with him in the next 5 or so years (sigh..).

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having known a great many Farang/Thai marriages over the years. The persons I knew with the greatest age difference is one of the few that survived. The Farang was 52 or so and she was 20 when they were married. The marriage lasted until his death a couple years ago. In my instance I was 36 and she was 32 and it did not survive. I don't think age difference would have anything to do with it.

Thanks, aircrest. I guess I'm being overly sensitive about it, which is weird because I dont normally give a toss what the rest of the world thinks (OK, I don clothes and clean my teeth, but thats not for the sole benefit of strangers :} ).

To be honest, I guess there is a tinge of guilt re becoming the stereotypical 'older guy with a young girl'. Wouldnt be quite so bad if Asians didnt look 3-5 years younger than their actual age - some of the BG's look like they have come straight from school. Sadly, that's probably not too far from the truth ...

When I married I was 32 and she was 22

Brought her to OZ. It lasted 8 years

She is still here I wish I wasn't

You get that

chok dee

Don't worry about what people will say. The aging farong women, that you're not interested in anyway, will think there is something wrong with you. Men no matter what they say will be jealous. Are you more worried about the older guy younger girl stgma, or the Asian mail order bride stigma?

The bottom line is that if your happy than your real friends will be happy for you.

She was twenty, I was thirty. I said "I'm a bit older than you." She said "Ten years difference is good." I don't remember what I replied.

Fifteen years and few kids latter, we're still hangin' in there. bahnawk

Archived