Hegelian Dialectic

What exactly is the Hegelian Dialectic? Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel was a 19th century German philosopher who devised a particular dialectic, or, method of argument for resolving disagreements. His method of arriving at the truth by the exchange of logical arguments is a system of thought process that is still used to this day.

To put it simply, the basis of Hegelianism dictates that the human mind can’t understand anything unless it can be split into two polar opposites. Good - Evil, Right - Wrong, Left - Right.

For example when people are talking about political parties, what they’re actually referring to, without realising it, is the thesis and the antithesis based off the Hegelian Dialectic. The only real debate that occurs is just the differences between those two parties. Nothing is said or done about the issues that neither parties are discussing. This becomes more apparent as an election would draw near.

Another form of the Hegelian Dialectic is Problem – Reaction – Solution

It has been widely used by governments and corporations around the world in controlling the masses, and society in general, it’s deployment has been an effective tool in keeping humanity in check.

Almost all major events in history employ the Hegelian Dialectic of:

Problem – manufacture a crisis or take advantage of one already in place in order to get the desired Reaction of public outcry whereby the public demands a Solution which as been predetermined from the beginning.

In order to avoid falling victim to the Hegelian Dialectic you must remember the process involved. Anytime a major problem or issue arises in society think about who will gain or profit from it. Then remove yourself from the equation and take a step back to look at it from a third party perspective. See the so-called “problemâ€, look at who is reacting, why and in what way. Then look for who is offering up the solution.

That depends on Mekong's surname

Up until as recent as 1913 it was not a legal requirement for Thai's to have a surname only using one name for identification. Thai's now have a formal name registered at birth and following western convention a first and family name conforming to proper standards.

A family's name cannot be duplicated in Thailand this means that if two people have the same surname they must be related.

And us foreigners have promptly scuppered that one. Case in point, I have 2 children, both have my family name, my wife also elected to take my name on marriage, not necessary now I know. Additionally I know another foreigner with the same family name as mine totally unrelated to me also married in Thailand and with children. So there are at least 4 children, 2 unrelated pairs, with the same family name. Not a Thai name for sure but through a few more generations likely indistinguishable. Heck knows what happens when Thai's marry Koreans.

Moving off my original thread sorry .....

"And us foreigners have promptly scuppered that one"

Yes, Radioman looks like different rules for Europeans. Amongst the native Thais are Chinese immigrants which make up about 14% of the population. Some wish to change their short surnames such a Tang or Wong to something more Thai sounding, perhaps to feel more part of the Thai culture, the reason for this is unknown.

The procedure is to submit five different surnames to the register of births to a maximum of ten characters. The law in Thailand forbids identical last names to those existing anywhere else in Thailand. ( It appears not to apply to Europeans ) The selected names will be checked on a database to see if the surname is duplicated and unique. After one month of searching, if there is no duplication of one of the five names, submitted then the name can be used as a surname.

This has become a serious problem for the authorities due to the high demand for surname changes by immigrant Chinese. Applicants have to try to create a surname with a low chance of duplication. Many Thai names have links to Chinese origins Tee and Mauy show that person to have derived from Chinese decent. Thai's with short surnames are usually of native decent, Thai's with longer surnames are generally of second generation Chinese decent.

Moving off my original thread sorry .....

Yah, bad habbit I'm afraid, aided buy a few beers it seems. Then again your original post seemed less a post requiring rebuttal or enhancement than it was almost a statement of, if not fact, then understood behaviour. Your post #3 was much more interesting.

My real surname is one of the 25 most common in the USA, though surprising few are related to me. (I've traced those who are.) With my mother's surname, there are even fewer in the USA. The reason is her family is English, while many - maybe most - of that name in the USA are Germans who anglicised their original name. :p

Now what was the subject? Oh, yeah Chuck Hagel.

p.s. I have a degree in poli sc ... and I hated the subject by the time I graduated! That's why I changed my major in grad school.

Archived