Techical School Violence

SpiceMan

I have heard often about students at technical schools hurting (even killing) students from other technical schools. My wife's youngest brother attended such a school and it was a very worrying time for her. She was glad when he graduated.

What in the minds of a youngster would lead them to attack members of other schools? Is it a turf war? Do the staff teach them not to do this? Or is the tremendous rivalry between the schools encouraging the students to do violence?

I've actually seen some of the violence myself, when a student from another school was pursued until he managed to jump on the bus I was riding and get away. I remember some bitchy Thai women screaming that we should through him off so that we wouldn't become involved. :surprised: The gang pursuing him were armed with paper cutters, metal rulers etc. This was in Banglamphu too, in the heart of old Bangkok.

The violence has been going on for decades, and a few times students from one technical school have actually invaded another to get at their "enemies". Deaths do occur now and then, usually from shootings with home made pistols. The younger students say the older ones force them to take part. If they don't, they will be beaten.

I don't know what can be done about it. At times the schools have been closed for long periods because of this. I don't think it is more than a small minority of the students who take part, but it is ridiculous. I'd advise perhaps letting new students off with a warning the first time, and expelling any student who continues to do so after that.

Carabao even has a made musical about this. One gang of students chases and beats a student from another school. The next time they encounter him, he is in a procession to become a monk. They looked stunned and drop their weapons, allowing him to pass.

This was in the news early this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF11HOLBnu8

I started a thread on this a few years back, with a link to an article detailing a daylight brawl in downtown BKK - Siam, from memory. What stunned me was that these idiots were willing to attack one another in full view of the public, complete with women and children out for an afternoon's shopping. FFS - book Lumpinee or similar and let them chop one another's heads off - same goes for any gang-on-gang violence. I wonder how many 'tough guys' would turn up if they knew it was going to be a genuine 'last man standing' proposition ?

A good friend - now sadly deceased - was a retired Army M.P. colonel. He always said that if gangs want to fight, cities should set up a designated area for it. Run the meat wagons through once a week to pick up the bodies. No reason innocent people should be endangered by their mindless violence.

I was at the new site of Bourbon Street a while back, when we heard a scuffle outside, went to look and a student stabbed on the ground bleeding.

A gig of mine, stunning girl just finishing a Uni degree, who's father is a Police Officer has a boy friend who was a student, he went to a rumble and shot another boy, not killed, sentenced to 5 years, she's now super faithful and "Waiting" for him,

Not sure which of them is dumber!

Archived