International Drivers Licence Required?

dean

I was in Pattaya, staying just south in a timeshare with my family, which got there one day earlier. They thought it would be a good idea to rent motorcycles/scooters to go to the beach. On Tuesday we went there, three persons a piece on two bikes (very slowly). I used the motorcycle to look for an internet shop in Jombien, but didn't take the crappy helmet supplied by the rental company (it was too small, so I had to push it over my forehead to stay on and the strap wasn't long enough). Of course, after going 4 blocks, I was stopped by the police, who said I was getting a 1,000 Baht ticket> 400 for no helmet and 600 for no international drivers licence. After negotiations I left 560 baht lighter. Since when has it been required in LOS to have an international drivers licence? I will be in Chiang Mai for the next 3 weeks and have both a pick up truck and a motorcycle (and a full fitting helmet that I brought from the U.S. several years ago) but do not want to have to pay for not having the proper drivers licence at the many vehicle stops around town. Should I be concerned?

I got arrested yesterday as well......in front of me a motorbike, one guy on the phone, no helmet and 3 kids....he got fined 200 Bt for the helmet. garanteed he had no licence or even insurance....

My turn....

- driving licence : mai mee

- car papers : mai mee

- passport : mai mee

- 1000 Bt : mai mee

Negotiated down to 300 Bt and lots of laughts from the copper and the good English speaking police luitenant :)

First time in 14 years of renting cars in LOS.

BB

You should have an International DL that also states that you are licensed to drive a motorbike.

My International DL clearly shows me licensed for cars, trucks and motorbikes (cycles).

I have two Thai DL: one for the motorbike and the other for the car.

International Driving License is a certificate in English of the national driving licese.

If national driving license is in English, no need to have International. Rented 50+ times cars in Thai and they always said Australian DL is enough.

My wife asked in 2006. for International and they said it has been discontinued as Thai national licenses have English and Thai (just started that year).

Now I have Japanese DL (Australian renewable remotely once in life time, that used and expired) and must have International as there is nothing in English on it.

This comes up every now and then, and I hope nobody on here ever gets stung. We all know things are "a bit different" in LOS, and it isn't illegal to drive without an IDL/IDP, yes it may be possible to hire a car, motorbike, truck bus or plane without one, even with a reputable car hire place (eg Avis). However should you become involved in an accident, without one you may not be covered by insurance, which could become costly. It should be said however, an IDL is useless if not accompanied by the original valid driving/riding license from that country.

Archived