International Drivers Licence Required?

dean

I got one for my trip to France. Rented car ahead of time - Hertz. Picked up in Calais and dropped off in Paris.

No one ever asked for the International Drivers License.

Best to read up on insurance if renting a car anywhere.

Usually ALL drivers have to be listed on contract.

Damage. I always examine rental car closely. I usually put an X on every part of car to be on the safe side. The paper slip that is - not the actual rental car.

Bouncing_Ball.gifdog_running-186.gif

• 4 weeks later...

checking the system lol? and you suppose that proved anything? :)

well I never got any significant different response from the thai police when driving a car whether producing a thai, european (non english language) or no license :)

why? probably because the everage traffic cop dont really know what to expect from a foreigner ;)

From car rental document requirements I never had a problem with national license (non english), but yeah my license happen to look a lot like the UK/EU credit card type model which again is similar to the thai. perhaps the japanese is very different or at least non latin script I would suppose :)

Motorbikes? I never had such a license & never had a problem, but surely yeah in case of accident I'm scared to death if I ever have to pay a full amount of say 15000bt for a new bike or compensation to a 3rd party LOL ~

Many years ago, (20+), I would show my USA license and only once, the Thai cop said, no good

but didn't issue a ticket after I donated 100 Baht to the orphans' fund.

Now a days, I have the USA, Thai and IDL. I only show the IDL and that has been good enough :dunno:

YMMV

Archived