farang vs. falang?

New Petchburi Pete

It's not just an Isaan thing; I've heard Bangkok Thais say the same thing. How many Asians do you know that can say "fried rice". I think in general it's easier for Thais to pronounce an "L" sound then an "R" sound so they get sloppy (hell, it's their language!). I think there are lots of examples of this. When do you hear a Thai say "aRai-na?" but that's how it's spelled (ÃÃäÃ) the "R" being "Ã". They always say "aLai-na". Or the word for "boat" (àÃ×Ã) always sounds like "Leua" to me. This is my take on it anyway.

I'm sure there are other consonant combinations that are (mispronounced?) like this as well. I'd be interested in hearing about those. Like "sukhumVit"; there is no "V" in the Thai alphabet! Maybe there should be?! I don't remember how Thais say it. There must be some other examples....

It is indeed just the pronunciation. "R" is correct. If you look at the spelling in Thai, it is definitely the Thai "r" (called "raw reua") being used and not the Thai "l" (called "law ling").

The same with "boat": "Reua," not "leua," but that actually is how some Thais pronounce it. Some Thais really cannot distinguish between the "l" and "r" sounds.

Not only do thais pronounce the r as l, most thais also pronounce words with consonant clusters by just pronouncing the initial consonant.

So fish=Plaa becomes Paa

Close or far (depending on the tone) Glai becomes Gai

Polite=Proh becomes Poh

etc.etc.

Rather annoying if you learn how to spell a word and the first time you get to hear it makes you wonder why you made the effort:)

Hua Nguu

"So fish=Plaa becomes Paa

Close or far (depending on the tone) Glai becomes Gai

Polite=Proh becomes Poh"

I haven't noticed this to a large extent myself. That might be a regional thing, though. I know in the South that words and expressions get shortened a lot; my experience is with Bangkok and the North.

joeyjojo,

"It's not just an Isaan thing; I've heard Bangkok Thais say the same thing."

You're absolutely right.

In fact most Thais are too lazy to pronounce it correctly. Pity but true.

The laziness has caused many words to change into different form. For example. ma-prow = coconut was used to be 'mark-prow' (mark is pronouned like 'Hua Mark') But just because people were too lazy to pronounce it fully it was shortened to 'ma' instead of 'mark'.

The exact same thing happens to many Thai fruit names like

ma-muang = mango.

ma-karm = tamarine

I'm not so sure about ma-now= lime though.

Archived