Congratulations Auburn Tigers

RayRay

The Cam Newton situation is dirty. However, a while back when I was Auburn it was how things were done in the SEC.

In the 'old days', EVERYBODY had boosters who bribed a top prospect. It was an old boys network and if your booster paid more than mine, then all is fair in love, war and recruiting. Coaches moved within the conference (for example Pat Dye, the Auburn coach when I was there, played for Georgia and the Georgia coach was an Auburn grad).

Spurrier was hated because he wouldn't abide by the 'rules' when he was at Florida. He routinely complained about recruiting violations (hypocritically because I heard plenty of stories about Florida).

When a SEC school got into NCAA trouble it was almost always internally. A disgruntled former/current athlete, coach or booster.

When the SEC old boy network changed and coaches outside the conference came in numbers they started telling on each other.

I didn't think we'd beat 'Bama or South Carolina. We have no defense or at least had none for most of the year but the defense is getting better at the right time. Its not great but its better. It can hold teams a bit better now and it started with the 2nd half of the 'Bama game.

Oregon will score. It has a decent defense. Neither team can stop the other. Not sure it will be the shootout everyone thinks it will be though. It may be a cagey conservative game beause of what's at stake.

I will say this, with respect to Domers, Michigan fans, Texas and A&M fans as well as the rest, I'm not sure you'll find a more devoted fan and a great bunch of down home people as you would at Auburn, as an alum its litteraly like a frat or an extended family. I've been invited in a total strangers home for dinner and to stay the night simply because I was a fellow alum they met while out and about. I'd do the same. My girlfriend would say 'they could be an axe murderer' and I'd say, they're Auburn babe, even Auburn axe murderers wouldn't kill an alum. I truly believed that...lol.

Wanted to add there is also a SEC extended family as well. I have been on jobs in LA where there were alums from Tenn., Georgia, even 'Bama and we all had our little clique. People couldn't understand it. It was tough to explain it was a combination of not only being part of a conference where everyone kinda knew each other it was also a southern thing. I am not a native southerner but I was there long enough to 'get it'. I was accepted as an honorary southerner to some extent and there is a little bit of a complex that comes with being a southerner, especially a white southerner. You're automatically labled as a hick, redneck, probably racist, in fact, you were kinda guilty till proven innocent, I understood that from being there.

I was in sales at one time and got deal based strictly on the fact I was a fellow SEC person. The guys were Georgia alums. They joked that if a Bulldog came with a deal I was out. I laughed and understood it completely. Anyway, it was my first couple weeks on the job and I quoted the wrong details. My bosses said they had to change the deal. I said I couldn't do that. They called my client and told them. I was pissed and said I'd eat my commission in order to finance that part of the deal but they didn't want to set the precedence. The clients called me and I was not only embarassed but ashamed. I told them what happened and that I was wrong and that if I can work it, I'd get them out of the deal. It was just understood between us that you 'cyber' shook hands and your word is your bond but my bosses didn't understand that. I told them the culture down there. You made a deal, bad or good and stuck to it.

Auburn's defense is better than people give them credit for. They might give up some big plays, but they also knock the living shit out of people. How many QBs have they sidelined with concussions?

If I were a betting man I would take the under on any line posted. Not because the offenses are all of a sudden going to get conservative, but rather because of the long delay between now and the championship game. Not many teams can come out hitting on all cylinders after such a long time off. I guess Florida against Ohio State did so, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

More importantly, which SEC team do we pick to win next year's championship? If they get even serviceable performance from the QB position then LSU will be in the mix.

• 1 month later...

I have to congratulate myself on pretty much nailing that one with regards to the over / under. I also still stand by my other prediction that next year the SEC makes it 6 in a row. Until the rest of the country can prove they belong on the same field maybe they should just hand out the crystal trophy at the conclusion of the SEC Championship game.

2011 National champs = LSU Tigers. Their defense next year is going to be unreal.

You know.

Being an alum I'm obviously tickled pink. I couldn't watch the last few minutes. I had to leave it after Cam fumbled. I had a very bad feeling after that. I said in the other thread that I thought it was anyone's game and it could have easily been an Oregon victory. They have a helluva attack. Much aesthetically prettier than Auburns with more variation. I enjoyed seeing them play.

Archived