Usa Thread

TroyinEwa/Perv

Trump does not want a 'poor person' in cabinet role

US president defends his decision to appoint wealthy individuals to his cabinet as 'smart' at a rally in Iowa.

Donald Trump has said he doesn't want "a poor person" running the US economy and has defended his decision to appoint wealthy individuals to his cabinet.

Speaking to his supporters in Iowa on Wednesday, Trump said: "Somebody said why did you appoint a rich person to be in charge of the economy? ... I said because that's the kind of thinking we want."

"I love all people, rich or poor, but in those particular positions, I just don't want a poor person. Does that make sense?"

Trump, a billionaire businessman from New York, lauded the appointments of former Goldman Sachs president Gary Cohn as chief economic adviser, and billionaire investor Wilbur Ross as Commerce Secretary, as "smart" decisions.

He explained that Cohn and Ross "had to give up a lot to take these jobs" and "went from massive pay days to peanuts."

Cohn served as President and COO of Goldman Sachs during the 2008 financial crisis when financial risks by the investment bank lost $1.2bn of its clients' money.

"Of course, we regret that we did not do many things better," he told Congress in 2010.

In 2010, Goldman agreed to pay $550m to settle civil fraud charges by the SEC of misleading buyers of mortgage-related securities.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/trump-poor-person-cabinet-role-170622143630875.html

There are no poor people in the government. The "elite" see to it that anyone of modest means who manages to get elected to Congress is quickly moved into the realms of the wealthy. I remember a study several decades ago of a Tennessee Congressman who was worth about $100,000 when he was elected. The lobbiests gave him advice on the stock market and loaned him money at a very low interest rate. At the end of his first term (2 years), he was worth an estimated $500,000. By the end of his second term, it had increased to $1,500,000. He was on his way ... and in their pocket.

Even the likable and very honest (for a Congressman) Bernie Sanders is worth well over one million, though that ranks him among the "poorer" MCs.