How's Your Area?

cavanami

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"KS...what's your area like?"

Quiet. I live very deep inside a small soi and even though much of the neighborhood seems to favor red, there's been no problems at all. If it wasn't for the news (and the 3 million posts here :) ) and me having to go down to Sukhumvit / Silom area for work from time to time I wouldn't have a clue that anything was going on.

Sanuk!

If you're interested in the provinces there was small red shirt demonstration outside the main police station in Chiang Rai yesterday.

The police all appeared to be on their day off or investigating major crime in karaoke bars so it was incident free.

Had to take an alternate route to work because of road blockages, according to the consensus of several taxi drivers. They said Klong Toey was blocked.

I usually go from Narathiwas, Rama 3, to Asoke, ultimately to the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit. I assume the taxi drivers thought that the area where Rama 3 hits Rama 4 was blocked.

But everything seemed quieter than usual.

The Asoke/Rama III flyover Rama IV was open this morning. There was the remains of a tire barricade on the Rama III end blocking one lane going towards Suk. It must have been placed late last night as the flyover was open at 8:00 last night though it was down to one lane each way as a bunch of cars, mostly taxis were parked and people standing there watching the stage below on Ramaa IV.

TH

Posted in another thread - better to add here:

Tuesday, 18th May 10:00 am. The main thing I noticed from the last few days has been the noise of the city is back.

Most shops on Sukhumvit from Soi 8 to Asoke open, vendors back on the street, construction work restarted, traffic moving - basically the noise of city life is back on.

Only thing lacking was the skytrain sounds and the buses on the street.

People walking around like the events of the last 2 days are over - and life (at least in this area of town) is back to normal.

Did stopping the money flow make a big immediate impact?

Sukhumvit Asoke update at 09:30

Traffic moving in all directions (and much more traffic than yesterday)

No police or army presence

Skytrain closed - but skybridge over Asoke open

MRT closed

Many more street vendors (push cart type) open for business, and the fixed sidewalk vendors

where starting to open also.

Out here there are small signs of the protests that can easily be avoided. Red Shirt Radio Station / Rangsit HQ have now erected full tyre barricade accross the Soi Lam Luk Ka end. Military roadblocks westboaund on Lam Luk Ka heading towards Phahon Yothin Road checking for supplies / weapons but clear towards the outer ringroad.

Authorities nust think Red sympathisers are to cheap charlie to pay toll fees.

Archived