Yanks Health Care Passes. Done Deal.

unit731

The US has finally entered the 20th Century by having Congress pass the universal health care legislation.

Now - sick people can get well. Now - sick people will not have to file bankruptcy - to pay for doctors/hospital visits.

LINK

"The United State Congress has approved the most significant piece of US social legislation for decades.

President Barack Obama's healthcare bill will extend healthcare to tens of millions of Americans and prevent insurance companies from refusing to cover people.

President Obama said that after nearly 100 years of debate and frustration, Americans finally had the assurance of universal health care."

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, it's not really universal...nor anywhere near as good as many other developed nations...but at least a major step in the right direction.

But until we give up on the idea that EVERYTHING must be run on a "for profit" basis, we will never be as healthy as we could be.

Article I of the Constitution says Congress has the power to “lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises†and to “provide for the general welfare of the United States.†The authors of the constitution gave Congress a broad mandate to spend money in ways that promote the “general welfare.†There is no mention of Health Care anywhere in the constitution. I suspect that a reasonable and prudent man would interpret health care to fall naturally under the "general welfare" provision of the constitution.

A similar constitutional argument was advanced to try to eliminate Medicare in the 1960s. It failed. Congress’ power to spend money to benefit the general welfare is the basis for Social Security, federal education funding, Medicaid, and veterans benefits such as the VA health system and the GI Bill. The argument that congress did not have the authority to pass such legislation has always fallen on deaf ears at the Supreme Court and suspect that argument would suffer a similar fate if the issue ever reaches that court.

It's a farce. And the people that support it have lofty ideals, but no idea of the actual nitty gritty of this bill, which is going to raid medicare and create even more logjams than we have now.

With the influx of baby boomers headed towards a need for increased care, our health system is now almost certain for some hard times. Not like today. REAL hard times. Lets revisit in 10 years. Normally I don't like doom/gloom predictions because they're abused and anyone can make them, but I'm fairly certain that this was a mistake and will have significant negative repercussions.

Hooray, we have healthcare like the Europeans now. Whoooopeeeeeee. Except guess what? That ain't what you got. What you got is an uglier fucking mess than exists today.

Looks like I'm going Republican. Bleh.

In US.

7,000 'boomers' reach retirement age EVERY day.

The number varies, I have read as high a 10,000 per day.

Thankfully, some will die - so the number will not be increasing forever.

I will be traveling shortly to the local federal government office to speak with my 'Death Counselor" and obtain pre-approval!

Let's see...in the last century, it was Pearl Harbor. In this century it was 9/11...and now, attacked from within by Obama.

All the fuckwits who supported this travesty of a bill will have fun trying to find a doctor who will accept Medicare, Medicade and any other government healthcare plans. It amounts to restaurants having to provide free dinners to those who lacked foresight and planning in their lives and would rather have their neighbors pay their bills. And those who have worked, planned and toiled to be able to pay their own insurance premiums will see those premiums climb at least 10-20 percent next year.

Next on the platter: legalizing 10-12 million illegals; that will add them to the program AND welfare/social security benefits that they haven't been able to access (legally) up until asshole Obama was elected by the useful idiots.

Of course, the Government will be bankrupt paying for all of this shit...more taxpayers and businesses will relocate off-shore, and the nitwits who wanted all of this shit will have to just eat shit and die.

HH

Archived