Yanks Health Care Passes. Done Deal.

unit731

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without meaning to offend anyone, I do wish that the rest of the world, and particularly the Brits, would realizes that a significant part, and maybe even the majority, of the US population does not appreciate being referred to as “Yanksâ€Â

TH

I'm not offended, as long as Brits aren't offended by "limies", Germans aren't offended by "krauts", or French aren't offended by "frogs".

HH

Took me a long time to get used to being called a Yank, since my father's family came to Virginia in the 17th century and has always been southern. Calling a southerner a Yank is a bit like calling a Londoner a Scouser or the queen a Geordie.

Everyone knows that Yanks are those idiots who put sugar in their corn bread and think that St Louis is "out west". ;)

p.s

<< In all, the bill would generate $409.2 billion in additional taxes by 2019, according to an analysis by the congressional Joint Committee on Taxation, a nonpartisan agency. The bill also imposes about $69 billion more in penalties for individuals and businesses who don’t meet mandates to buy insurance, according to the Congressional Budget Office, another nonpartisan agency.

Most of the revenue would come from higher Medicare taxes on about 1 million individuals earning more than $200,000 and about 4 million couples filing jointly who make more than $250,000.

The legislation would for the first time apply Medicare taxes to investment income received by these households, beginning in 2013. The 3.8 percent rate would apply to unearned income such as realized capital gains, dividends, interest, rents and royalties. It wouldn’t apply to other income subject to income taxes, including interest from municipal bonds and retirement accounts such as 401(k) plans until funds are withdrawn.

Obama’s budget proposes to allow the existing 15 percent tax rate on dividends and capital gains to rise to 20 percent in 2011 for the same high-earners. Layering a 3.8 percent Medicare tax on top of that would mean a new top rate on dividends and capital gains of 23.8 percent. The top tax rates on interest and rental income would rise to as high as about 44 percent, assuming other Obama tax increases on high-earners are enacted. >>

Link

Anybody know how it affects expats? Will we have to buy insurance also? I'm guessing that, if we can't get treated overseas, the answer is no. Can we then fly back if seriously ill and purchase insurance on the spot, no penalty?

Anybody see a clean, clear breakdown of the major provisions anywhere? Costs, when the different rules kick in, maybe the effect on prescription drugs.

Have you seen the size of the bill? It looks like a New York City phone book. I wonder if anybody has read the whole thing and knows what it includes, even those who voted for or against it.

p.s. With Medicare, you are supposed to apply as soon as you are eligible for Social Security. If you delay, you can still get it - but the longer you wait, the less coverage you get.

I think part of the right's opposition is earnest. Its a huge government program but I also suspect that its a cause celebre they can use politically in the next election cycle.

I'm not a 'party' guy anymore. I see them both as tainted.

I would ask where was the outrage when the Patriot's Act and other things were in effect? That act weakened the constitution more than this bill ever could.

Its all bullsh*t.

Let's see...in the last century, it was Pearl Harbor. [color:red]In this century it was 9/11.[/color]..and now, attacked from within by Obama.

All the fuckwits who supported this travesty of a bill will have fun trying to find a doctor who will accept Medicare, Medicade and any other government healthcare plans. It amounts to restaurants having to provide free dinners to those who lacked foresight and planning in their lives and would rather have their neighbors pay their bills. And those who have worked, planned and toiled to be able to pay their own insurance premiums will see those premiums climb at least 10-20 percent next year.

Next on the platter: [color:red]legalizing 10-12 million illegals;[/color] that will add them to the program AND welfare/social security benefits that they haven't been able to access (legally) up until asshole Obama was elected by the useful idiots.

Of course, the [color:red]Government will be bankrupt paying for all of this shit[/color]...more taxpayers and businesses will relocate off-shore, and the nitwits who wanted all of this shit will have to just eat shit and die.

HH

9/11 happened because a lot of people were not doing their job.

This bill came about because of a lot of issues that were going on with the insurance companies. They must have seen it coming?

As for the immigration issue: I suppose you approve of spending $5000.00 or more for rounding up each illegal only for them to return again? Why not make them taxpayers and get them to help in reducing our tax burden instead of increasing our tax burden?

If the country continues with their wars, their war on drugs, and trying to get rid of illegals, the country will go bankrupt! We can not ford all of this crap!

Oh by the way, why do Republicans approve of providing Iraq's with health care at our expense but are totally against providing healthcare for our own people? Is it because they love the Iraqis and look at us as dogs? Sounds very weird to me.

...completely unconstitutional!

The US constitution states: The individual states have control of health care, NOT the federal government...just another example of Prez. O trashing the constitution!!!

What part of the constitution does it violate? And why do the politicians with the best coverage in the nation NOT want others to have any coverage at all?

I'd be willing to wager the law will stand the test of any legal challenge thrown it's way. By the way' date=' how's your insurance hunting going, if your COBRA benefits have expired? [/quote']

The healthcrap company sent notice of a fucking 15% increase...thanks, Prez. O...NOT!!!

Why is Obama responsible for this increase? I blame it on greedy insurance companies fucking you/us. With no controls it will just get worse.

The bill sucks, but it is a step in the right direction.

"...those who lacked foresight and planning in their lives and would rather have their neighbors pay their bills. And those who have worked, planned and toiled to be able to pay their own insurance premiums will see those premiums climb at least 10-20 percent next year...."

First off, despite the best of plans, shit happens. Apparently, it has NEVER happened to you where losing health insurance was concerned. If it did, then you'd have an idea of what is really involved. Bottom line is most people cannot afford the premiums, some cannot get coverage because of pre existing conditions.

In the past few years, I have seen my pension lost, my private investments and 401K go down the toilet (Yes, I planned and still got fucked), my retirement medical insurance scrapped, and heard some hard liners talk about eliminating SSI medicare and medicaid...So despite my best planning, I am still fucked, and the few options I may have are in line to be cut but certain folks should they get elected...

I make about 1.5 times the national average. I would have difficulty paying for my current coverage, should I have to pay the full amount. Additionally, the deductibles and co payments would further fuck me. Now what about people who earn less and would have to pay premiums for a family? Ok, the really poor already have the government programs they can get...you and I pay for that, shouldn't we have access to something should we need it?

I was damn near ruined paying off a $15,000 medical bill I got from an injury when I had no medical insurance. When I finally got some insurance, treatments for the injuries were NOT covered as they were pre existing...the system sucks and needs improvements...never mind the bullshit about the poor and the illegals, I agree fuck them if they don't work...but what about people who do work or did work and need medical coverage shouldn't something exist for those of us paying the bills? Assuming we have no access to private coverage?

Archived