Do you ever long for the old Bangkok ?

gobbledonk

Hey Flashermac

Do you know where the NCO club was in Bangkok in mid 1967?

I think it was around the lower Sukhumvit area but not really sure. Some Thai friends say it might have been the Nana Hotel which had some slot machines and was off limits to Thai people. I was TDY here for a few weeks and had my first meal at that place.

Thanks if you can remember.

Got this from Mit (his board name on Nanaplaza), who was an MP in Bangkok and Pattaya in the 1960s. Good guy ... wish he'd post here too. He used to have a great website on Thailand in the GI days - won awards, but it's down now. :(

--------------

The Bangkok Area Command NCO Open Mess was at the Windsor Hotel, Soi #20 off Sukhumvit.

The dining room was straight through the Hotel lobby, on the right. There was a 'night club' downstairs.

Upstairs, top floor, there was a lounge. They had free bloody mary's and 20 cent breakfasts on Sunday mornings.

On the left, as you enter the Windsor parking lot (where the Windsor Coffee Shop is now) 'Lisa's Lounge' was open for lunch, snacks and drinks snacks during lunch hour. They had 50 cent "cardboard" pizzas and even a go-go dancer during lunch hour.

One of the NCO Club waitesses (name: Tee Wah) now works day shift in the Nana Hotel Coffee Shop. She works the coffee/drink counter and she still has her original Bangkok Area Commend NCO Club ID badge. Tee Wah speaks fondly of those days - she knew Brigadier General Black. She liked the MP's (who were billeted at the Windsor) and she ran a 'loan-shark' business on the side. She said the GI's always paid her back on time.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Flashermac.

I recall the NCO club restaurant was on the right side so that is probably the one. I have been in the Windsor only one time so will have to go back and see if it jogs any memories now that it has been pinpointed.

But a lot of changes in 44 years... I appreciate your checking this out.

But now there is adventure, real adventure to be found without the accoutrements of modern tech living.

The current obsession with information for the masses, and the accompanying "truth by popularity", has the effect of dumbing down and disney-fying the world that so many experience.

Witness the number of visitors to Thailand that seek out MacDonalds and Mexican food.

Many of the boards pioneers and greatest posters are those that arrived on the ground and spend time doing a bit of their own investigation. Thus places are found.

Though I admit I spent two of my first visits staying at the Nana Hotel, as convenience and relatively "no-risk" punting were high on my agenda.

But by the time I was on my third visit, I realised that Bangkok was a city like any other and that gems, were found everywhere, that that girl who gives you a smile in the soi way down Sukhumvit somewhere, was really smiling at you and you had a better that even chance with her.

I think the old Bangkok is still there, I think that Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza and to a lesser extent PatPong, are just the supermarket versions and that fun is where you find it.

Coss

But now there is adventure, real adventure to be found without the accoutrements of modern tech living.

The current obsession with information for the masses, and the accompanying "truth by popularity", has the effect of dumbing down and disney-fying the world that so many experience.

I don't know who you are -- but I like you.

And agree, that you can find worthwhile experience today in Bangkok. Being one of the richest cultural centers of Asia and having 8+ million souls running around gives a significant berth for opportunity.

And I'll be there to find mine in 6 weeks.

The nightlife scene in the 1970s was much smaller and almost discrete. You had to go looking for it. Presumably, it was even more so in the 1960s.

Nowadays, it sort of hits you over the head along Sukhumwit and at Patpong. That could be its undoing in the long run. :hmmm:

• 3 weeks later...

Witness the number of visitors to Thailand that seek out MacDonalds and Mexican food.

Many of the boards pioneers and greatest posters are those that arrived on the ground and spend time doing a bit of their own investigation. Thus places are found.

Though I admit I spent two of my first visits staying at the Nana Hotel, as convenience and relatively "no-risk" punting were high on my agenda.

But by the time I was on my third visit, I realised that Bangkok was a city like any other and that gems, were found everywhere, that that girl who gives you a smile in the soi way down Sukhumvit somewhere, was really smiling at you and you had a better that even chance with her.

I think the old Bangkok is still there, I think that Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza and to a lesser extent PatPong, are just the supermarket versions and that fun is where you find it.

Coss

The old Bangkok I never knew from before my time is no longer there but I sure do relate to your interpretation of the "no-risk" punting around Soi 4. But venturing off the beaten path requires one to accept failure and wasted time and unless you live in Bangkok, just how much of that can you take ?

Walk away from monger central and get a smile from a young lady as you suggest and how on earth does your average sex tourist translate that into a conquest ? The answer is he cannot. He hasn't enough time nor sufficient language skills. He cannot take her out as he only knows NEP and CB. He sure don't want 2 of her friends coming along as they waste hours in coffee shops before she wants to go back to her room in mama's house at 10pm. He doesn't want half a dozen dates before the first kiss because he hasn't the time.

In Pattaya, there are regular girls but they know what the game is. No need for chaperones though friends on the payroll is likely. The thing is that guys know that the girls know that the guys know. There is no pretence. In Bangkok, whether a GTG or not, there is a layer of bullshit to get through and most times even those with time cannot be bothered.

It is like going to a far away shop. You really want to go but you cannot be bothered with the journey. After a while, the desire subsides.

Samlors have been banned in Bangkok since some time in the 1960s. You see them in Nonthaburi and in Prapradaeng, but not inside the Bangkok city limits.

When the samlors were banned, there was a long procession of them as they pedalled north to Chiang Mai!

Uh ... unless you mean tuk-tuks. :hmmm:

Lots of bicycles still in my neighbourhood.

Archived