Do you ever long for the old Bangkok ?

gobbledonk

Reading William Warren's book on Jim Thompson has me wishing I could turn back the clock, but living in BKK without aircon doesnt strike me as a particularly 'good time'.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/printed-books/jim-thompson-the-unsolved-mystery-william-warren/

Whatever your take on Thompson is, I highly recommend this book. Warren, unlike many authors, actually knew the man and he draws on his own knowledge of SE Asia to paint a vivid picture of Thailand in 1945-1967, when Thompson disappeared. Warren has also written a stack of beautifully illustrated gardening and art/craft books, but thats a topic for another thread.

Happy to hear from anyone who was actually there in the aforementioned period - easy to get all nostalgic for something you havent endured :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know, Warren is still living. He's from Georgia and taught at Chulalongkorn University for years. He's a prolific writer. though he caught some flak for not really saying what he thought happened to Jim Thompson, Instead, he just gives an assortment of theories.

The Bangkok of the 1970s and '80s was delightful, in comparison to today. Nevertheless, we bitched about how big it was and how bad the traffic was. If only we'd known. Bangkok was about 2 to 3 million when I came here. Ekamai was in the sticks and Don Muang seemed a long way away. Traffic sped through the city, and accidents could be deadly. We complained because it was too fast - not too slow. :(

Since there were almost no high rise building, cool breezes blew and you didn't really need a/c. Even streets like Sathorn were lined with big shade trees. Taxis drove with the windows open and always felt cool enough.

Look for something by Jorges Orgibet. He came here the same time as Jim Thompson and shared a house with him.

Orjibet talked about how polite Thai drivers were in the 1940s and '50s. They would stop for pedestrians and other drivers and wave them past. That was certainly gone by the time I got here. :(

Trink really should write a history of the nightlife, but he can't be bothered. He has a fantastic photo collection of it too. Really a shame. :(

Orjibet wrote some about the nightlife in the late '40s and '50. He did a column called "Backdrop" for Business in Thailand magazine for many years. He used some of his columns to put together "From Siam to Thailand: Backdrop to the Land of Smiles", published by Kofco in 1982. Really worth hunting down - some great photos in it too.

http://www.bangkokpicture.com/pictures/oldbangkok.php

Yes, the good old days.

The gals were less expensive as were the hotels.

It was a quiet peaceful Bangkok back then.

Nostalgia.

I have film pictures that some day I wish to convert to digital. Only if I had the time and energy.

I remember one time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Archived