NCAA Bowl Match Ups

Hugh_Hoy

Within the hour, we expect to hear which teams will be playing in the BCS. No doubt, Alabama and Texas will be playing the in "national championship game", Texas squeeking by an over-achieving Nebraska yesterday. But no matter who plays against Alabama, I look for an Alabama win.

Alabama domintated #1 Florida in every way possible. Maybe that scrimmage against Florida International recently didn't help Florida too much? Few things went right Florida and it was probably the worst game I've seen Tebow play. He looked like an average QB in Saturday's game.

Meanwhile, McCoy (Texas) looked about the same as Tebow. Nebraska had 9 sacks and 3 INT's. Secondary coverage of Texas receivers was outstanding for the most part and contributed to McCoy's uncharacteristic performance.

It will be interesting to see if both non-BCS schools (TCU and Boise) will be invited to one of the "big" bowls. Both are undefeated and it would be a shame if a school like Clemson (8-4/5) got into one at the expense of one of these teams.

As an aside, I was happy to see USC get its come-up-ance against Arizona Saturday. The University of Spoiled Children needed that loss to punctuate an otherwise mediocre season and atone for the lack of sportsmanship/class in the closing minute of the previous week's game with UCLA. I have a feeling that USC will have the rest of the PAC-10 "up" for the games with the Trojans next year. Payback for USC running up scores over the last years has come due...and, I think, collected.

HH

I would expect 'Bama to be fairly heavy favorites against Texas. I have not looked up any odds but I'd guess anywhere between 7 and 10 points, closer to 10 if i was a bookmaker.

It seems to be Alabama's title. However, and admittedly, it may be bias on my part since I'm an Auburn alum, but big favorites usually don't cover and often lose (Texas a few years ago for example).

Mix it and up confuse the Alabama defense and you stand a good chance as Auburn did in the Iron Bowl and almost won. Texas would have to do the same I'd think to keep them off balance.

I'd love to see Boise State get a chance in the spotlight. America loves a David and Goliath story and always roots for the little guy. Its our culture.

I'd love to see Boise State get a chance in the spotlight. America loves a David and Goliath story and always roots for the little guy. Its our culture.

Shame Boise State and TCU have to play each other in The Fiesta Bowl rather than each against AQ teams. Seems as if the BCS is getting advice from that Sepp Blatter @hole at FIFA and sweeping the smaller market teams under the rug.

Have to agree with HH about UA beating SC last night. I enjoyed that. I'm all for the Pac-10, so if SC's trying to go undefeated I'm on the bandwagon. But since SC tanked early, I didn't care about them and was really happy to see a handful of really good teams in the conference who could beat SC or just about anyone else. Breakout year for the Pac-10, and it should continue. Good luck to Oregon, Arizona, Stanford and even USC representing in bowl games.

I just wish Boise State and TCU had the opportunity to represent. :(

I'm not sure if I really cares whether Texas or Alambama wins January 7. They're both top teams and deserve to battle it out.

Alabama...Steve...10 pts.? I'll take some of that. 55555555555555 On the other hand, if 'Bama can contain McCoy like they did Tebow, maybe you're right.

I think we're all on the same page here about Boise and TCU playing each other. Kind of like the BCS is afraid BOTH of them might beat BCS shools with automatic inclusion. Not sure Oklahoma has recovered from it's loss against Boise two years ago. 555555555555555

Another thing about this matchup I don't like: these two teams played eachother last year in the Pointsetta Bowl. TCU won 17-16. Very low scoring for those teams.

Nevertheless, the Fiesta Bowl is a good gig and will bring some extra $$$ to the teams' conferences. Right now, the winner isn't clear-cut to me.

I'm hoping that Oregon will shellshock Ohio State. Big 10 teams usually choke in the Rose Bowl. Maybe those January 80-degree days wear them down. 5555555555 Dunno. Ohio State has been a wannabe for so long, it's a shame we have to see them again patheticly represent a so-called powerful conference. (All of those schools in the Big 10 are over-rated, IMO. Legends in their own minds.

HH

I think TCU won its games far more impressively than Texas and wished they were playing Alabama. Agree that its sad that TCU and Boise State have to play each other...would have been much more fun to watch them going after the bigger schools with the BCS advantage. Florida/Cinci should be fun...maybe the best of the bowl games...great games this weekend all around, but the Cinci?Pitt game was amazing.

The Vegas line is 5 1/2 which surprised me. It goes to show you that the 'smart money' in betting are not thinking its a 'Bamam slam dunk.

As far as the BCS and the lack of a playoff system, I've always heard its the University presidents that are the ones against it all. EVERY other college sport has a play off system. Even Div III and II in NCAA football has one. No reason Division 1A can't.

Follow the money....

But wouldn't there be much more money in a playoff system. Schools get one shot with a bowl game, but with a playoff system they could get two or three = much more money.

I think that line will change...but also might be do to many more Texas supporters in Vegas than for the Tide. The folks from Bama still use rabbit ears and haven't even dreamt of leaving the state.

On another note...PLEASE no Heisman for Tebow...Mccoy didn't play well either...would love for an undersog to grab it...the RB from Stanford would be a cool upset.

Also...I am very glad that punk quarterback from Notre Dame is leaving for the pro's...don't have to watch him anymore except for riding the bench. Golden Tate is another matter and he should be a star. I foresee Tebow taking Jesse Palmer's job at the ESPN studio within 2 years..another Florida quarterback star that couldn't make it in the Pro's. He is also invited to eat my shorts.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived