California's Gay Marriage Ban Upheld by State Supreme Court

Hugh_Hoy

What basically pisses off the opponents is the use of the term "marriage". I've never heard of much opposition to gays and lesbians living together with all the rights of married couples. But legally calling it such seems to make some folks feel like their own marriage and beliefs are being insulted on. Gay marriage is bound to happen, but there are always going to be allowed of folks pissed off by it.

I wonder how it would go over in the military, when a gay GI asks for a housing allowance and spousal benefits for his same sex marriage partner. :hmmm:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chocolat Steve: It's very hard to overcome bias acquired in youth. I admire you greatly for it.

This issue was easy for me--I was never taught that being gay was bad (or good). However, I acquired so many biases (as do we all) just from being in my particular culture. For example, I believed very strongly that America was the best damned country on the planet until relatively recently because it was drilled into me so strongly.

Most people never break free from their acquired biases. In other words they don't know if what they believe is due circumstance of birth or from rationally thinking about things. Often, people look for reasons to justify their bias rather than taking both sides honestly into consideration. It's not a criticism, just an observation based on what I've seen in life.

That is one of the reasons why people are so easily led (and misled) by propaganda. The smart propagandists use these biases (gay marriage is a great example of this) to distract people from the important issues. (This has been said on this board many times in various wordings.)

One way that living abroad can be beneficial is that it helps shake up your world so strongly that you begin to question your own beliefs more easily and rationally. (Of course, many people who live abroad manage to avoid change almost completely. :) )

I was raised by very loving parents who truly loved everyone. The line was homosexuality and in the black community and latin (my neighborhood was part latino) it was the ultimate sin.

However, I left home for univeristy at 17 and never really came back. Been to about 40 or so states and several countries, all included, europe, asia, south america.

My 'life experiences' can best be summed up from what this american girl who was also at a british pub at 4am to watch an english game said to me, when asked how she got into 'football'. She was traveling in europe for the summer in college. Her mom didn't want her to go out of fear, but surprisingly she said her dad said yes and his reason was 'travel is the best cure for prejudice'.

I firmly believe that.

I was raised by very loving parents who truly loved everyone.

Many very decent people have extremely irrational beliefs--including many friends (and relatives) of mine. I never give up on them, but I sometimes find it difficult to communicate with them when they say things that are so obviously wrong. As I said before, getting past bias is very difficult. There's no doubt I still have quite a few lurking around myself.

The line was homosexuality and in the black community and latin (my neighborhood was part latino) it was the ultimate sin.

There was discussion at the time about how the strong anti-gay marriage vote from black and Latino communities had helped get the law passed. That must be especially frustrating to black and Latino gays.

Can someone please tell my why 2 people who love each other and want to share their lives, should be denied the right to marry and have all the same benefits and protections, and short falls that any and all married people have?

So 2 dudes or 2 gals want to marry...so fucking what? This has absolutely no bearing or effect on my lfe at all...it does not protect my life, or my job, or my pension, and it does not put food on my table...so why all the fuss?

Your mistake is clear--you believe in Reason. You need to find Faith--surrender your stinking 'Reason' to a higher power. Of course, it would be best if you choose *my* higher power--that way you won't burn in hell for eternity.

Got it?

Yes, got it...I need to think like you or I go to hell...problem with that theory is, I have the only rightful insight into Christianity, and I am the purest form of Christian...you clearly are not, or else you would not dare to question me...or something like that right?

The best thing about Gay marraige is, it piss off the religious right! And anything or anyone that can do that, deserves a round of cheers!

Yes, got it...I need to think like you or I go to hell...problem with that theory is, I have the only rightful insight into Christianity, and I am the purest form of Christian...you clearly are not, or else you would not dare to question me...or something like that right?

You see, you got that Reason action going on again. You're going to have to give that up to enter heaven--which is really nice by the way.

The best thing about Gay marriage is, it pisses off the religious right! And anything or anyone that can do that, deserves a round of cheers!

Amen. I believe you have seen the light, brother Hippie. Hey, ain't you a pastor of some ree-ligion?

Archived