Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error

TroyinEwa/Perv

I decided to make this a poll. If this happened to you, what would you do? Remember, your vote is anonymous. :evil:

WELLINGTON, New Zealand â?? Police launched an international search for two New Zealanders who allegedly took the money and ran after a bank mistakenly put 10 million New Zealand dollars ($6.1 million) into their account.

Would you or wouldn't you?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I don't think that you can run away with such an amount if you haven't prepared it properly.

How will you move the money out of NZ?

How will you be able to travel when your passport is flagged?

How will you avoid that corrupt officials or other criminals take away the money?

There is no need to be really prepared.

Just have a few foreign bank accounts.

Means, you retrieve some cash in the course of a single day as well as make several wire transfers to one of your foreign bank account.

You book a flight for the evening to the country where your receiving foreign bank account is.

At then end of the day you board your flight, when you land you go directly to your bank and retrieve as much as cash (at several offices) as possible and then make wire transfers to your last foreign bank account.

Then I book my flight to a country close to Thailand then use a land transport to cross the boarder and will certainly have enough cash to buy a new reliable fake passport.

I currently have bank accounts in 4 different countries, given the time needed for the original bank to realize the mistake + the time needed for the local police to transmit it, I guess it leaves plenty of time for you to flee.

What I suggest is, in 24 hours I don't believe the bank + the authorities have the reaction time needed to catch you.

I don't think I'd take the money but not because I'm a good guy, I just don't believe that it's possible not to get caught eventually. It would have been possible 15 or 20 years ago but nowadays, unless you're already professionally skilled for going under the radar, there's no way you won't be tracked.

Kamui, this is just a nice idea (not even a dream) so you are right of course.

:beer:

KimDidMeGood: Sorry mate but everyday we see that with enough money you can vanish in the air, especially in countries like Thailand.

An older case:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1668687.stm

I also found out that if such an error occured with one of us, the usual step the bank takes is to correct the transaction (like it happened recently to a Swedish or Norwegian person) but this is 'illegal'.

It seems the bank is not allowed to correct the error by simply subtracting the amount out of oyur account.

Anyway, this is a nice story, wish the couple all the best, live happily, take care of children and lead a happy and honest life.

Anyway, this is a nice story, wish the couple all the best, live happily, take care of children and lead a happy and honest life.

Too late on the honest part.

Yes, I meant this poll as a joke. As we all know, there would be no way to get away with this, especially if you fled to a country, like, should we say, Thailand....where the law enforcement is well above par. :)

Archived