Jakarta Update

LookieLookie

After spending hours trawling thru the Jakarta threads I wonder how relevant the 'Is Jakarta worth a visit?' thread is today? It's seven years old so an update would be great!

Are the venues listed still god? If not, where are the hot spots now? Are the girls still as friendly or are they hardened now from Bules approaching them in the street? Are the clubs packed with Bules who are sick of Thailand?

Post your recent experiences.

After spending hours trawling thru the Jakarta threads I wonder how relevant the 'Is Jakarta worth a visit?' thread is today? It's seven years old so an update would be great!

Are the venues listed still god? If not, where are the hot spots now? Are the girls still as friendly or are they hardened now from Bules approaching them in the street? Are the clubs packed with Bules who are sick of Thailand?

Post your recent experiences.

Lookie Lookie, the Venues listed are not god, that is blasphemous :nono:

The really hot spots are in areas where there is no shade, normally around 1pm :chili:

The girls are still friendly :)

You should definitely try the place, you can wine and dine for around 69 Rupiah, really cheap emmit, I mean innit :surprised:

Hope that helps, have a great time :thumbup:

'Bule' =~ 'Farang'

Literally, I am told it means 'Pale' in Bahasa Indo, but I suspect that its pretty generic for all foreigners : like Thailand, I'm sure that there are terms to cover people from other Asian nations, and they may have their own version of 'chocolat'. One of the pragmatic things about their language, and the people, is that they have no problems stealing words from another language, although they usually do something Dutch with it. 'Computer' becomes 'Komputer' and so on - apologies to any Dutch board members who feel that I am trivialising their language, but that is the best description I can give.

Given a choice between needing to learn two read/write/speak Bahasa Indo/Malaysia and needing to learn Thai, I suspect that most of us would find the former a lot easier. That said, you wont be able to pick up enough from a phrasebook on the plane over to be able to communicate - English, hand signals and a smile are your best bet.

I took some Bahasa Indonesia lessons, and it's a pretty simple language for an English speaker, but the majority of Indonesian ladies you'd meet in bars have a much better command of the English language than their Thai sisters. So there's not much point in trying to speak Bahasa unless you're good.

I took some Bahasa Indonesia lessons, and it's a pretty simple language for an English speaker,....

It does appear that way. However I had an Aussie friend in Jakarta in the early 90's who worked at the Embassy but was with the military. He spoke fluent Bahasa and told me, when I suggested that Thai was more difficult to learn than Bahasa, that the language course for embassy personnel working in Thailand was shorter than the language course for those working in Indonesia. The reason I recall was that although basic Bahasa was easier to pick up than Thai, Bahasa is a much more complex language than Thai and takes longer to learn good enough to be fluent.

Indonesia and particularly Jakarta is loaded with beauty and charming, wonderful women.

Indonesian ceweks are great conversationalists, curious about life, fun-loving, carefree, happy to do anything together and quite frankly, easily-impressed by a cosmopolitan and well-travelled foreigner.

The diversity and beauty of the girls in JKT blow BKK out of the water. Women are just more beautiful and ethnically diverse in this part of Asia, no way to deny it.

Also the mix of freebies and P4P is unrivalled in this part of the world. It's Candyland, something for everybody.

Be careful that you donâ??t addict yourself.

Archived