Renewing US Passport in Bangkok

expat

Hello all,

I live in Pattaya and need to head up to Bangkok to get a new passport. I actually got my current passport in Bkk, but that was almost 10 years ago, so I was hoping there might be someone who had gone through the experience more recently that could give me any tips, caveats, or other help in advance of my dreaded trip to the Big Mango.

I've already spent a bunch of quality time on the US Bangkok Embassy website, and as far as I can see, I just need to show up when American Citizen Services is open with my old passport, an application form, money, and two pictures in the specific format mentioned on this webpage:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/embassy/pspt.htm#pspt-passport

It all seems straightforward, but I'm just posting this to avoid any nasty surprises.

Also, it seems like it's going to take two trips, one to submit the application and one to pick up the passport. Can anyone confirm this? I would be nice if I could have them EMS it to me instead to avoid hassle.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Your passport will still say it was issued in Bangkok, but will actually be made in the U.S. The photo is sort of sealed into the paper -- doesn't much look like you, but it's hard as hell to forge now.

Ask for the larger passport with more pages. The extra pages come for free, but you do have to ask for them.

Also, the cheapskates at the embassy now make you pay for the postage to and from the US. When I renewed mine a couple of years ago, the postage was included.

Shouldn't be any problems. Expect to spend maybe an hour or two. They will set a date for you to pick up your new passport, which you then have to take to Immigration and get your visa transfered over to it.

I am looking at my passport received from Bangkok Embassy on 26 July 2006. Nowhere does it say issued in Bangkok, as a matter of fact, nowhere does it say where it was issued at all, just issued by authority of US State Dept. In immigration entry forms, such as Singapore, where they ask for place of issue I have just put USA..

Photo looks normal, except it is printed on paper not pasted on as before, lamination includes a holograph US Seal..

I do agree to try and get them to give you the 48 pager, I didnâ??t think to ask and they just gave me 24 pages. First 7 are wasted and then Thai Immigration takes 3 more to transfer visa, so you are on page 11 right from start. I am already `

on page 16, will probably have to go get more in a couple of months.

My process was very painless. Put application in (available in fill in PDF format at https://pptform.state.gov/(esiziu45tgtlad550cefrh55)/DS82/Eligibility.aspx ), 2 photos, and 2,680 baht ($67). Arriving at exactly 7:30 AM took about 20 minutes, most of that waiting in line at cashier. They give you slip saying what day to come back (2 Weeks) along with phone number to call. They give you your old passport back, but remind you to bring when you pick up new one. I called 2 days before my date and passport was there already. Took less then 10 minutes to pick up (again, arriving at 7:30 AM), they punch a couple of holes in cover of your old passport and stamp Cancelled. They also give you letter to take to Immigration asking to transfer visas and entry stamps.You have to pick up new one in person.

Donâ??t know anything about transferring Thai visa, I got back to office, gave passports to HR dept and that afternoon they gave it back with visa transferred.

This seems to normal time and process as another guy in office did this one month before me and it was same for him.

TH

Archived