Back in Bangkok

buddha

I landed last night and am really excited to make a second go at a life in Bangkok.

This time around I am much better prepared as I have a job, apt, cellphone, etc. all waiting for me on arrival. Didn't have to lay out any cash for the flight, car from the airport, etc.

My last attempt was just a pick up and go from NYC -- no job, no clue. I have put a good deal of effort into creating the situation I am stepping into -- 15 months of constant emails, phonecalls, and networking.

I am really excited to be back...:yay:

yeah good luck & hope life'll be good on you this time around.

15 months doesn't sound like very long to many of us wanna be's still out here. did you do it full time or after working hours?

any valuable tips to share?

have fun :hubba:

The only tip I can possibly share would be to be consistant in your efforts and hope for a little luck.

I was working a full time job and just started applying to positions on all kinds of job boards. When someone contacted me I would go out of my way to prove I was the person for the job and to be helpful. I met and kept in touch with a good deal of people throughout the 15 months. Basically anyone who I could identify as an 'industry colleague' got some type of suggestion, help, or advice from me in the past 15 months. I looked at every software project I could find, introduced myself, and said 'I like what you are doing. I'm doing this. Maybe I can help you?' The responses were great.

I was offered a handful of jobs and turned down several offers. The job I finally took offered me half the amount we finally settled on. Their first offer was in November but we continued to talk weekly until June.

There was some down time, no responses, low offers, but I stayed the course and kept consistant. Things look pretty good right now.

The luck issue is a bit of a stretch for me. I'm not a big 'mystical thinker' but luck certainly plays a part.

Also stress in your cover letter that you know Bangkok and you are not the type of person to get carried away with the nightlife aspects.

I've been here 2 days and have already got the worst case of diarrea possible. Never been so happy to sit on the pot and think...

buddha said:

Also stress in your cover letter that you know Bangkok and you are not the type of person to get carried away with the nightlife aspects.

you were first to raise this issue? Why?

rather surprised at that. ::

had it been asked in an interview, IMHO your answer is spot on.

It was very carefully worded...most of the people I was speaking with were falangs. I felt that having experienced the cultural highs and lows that go along with living and working and Thailand was as important as being qualified to do the job.

When the topic was discussed I didn't lie about anything. My main focus is work, work, and work; however, my time off is my time and I understand discretion. I think my boss appreciated the heads up.

BTW - does anyone know of a good short time hotel in the patpong area?

Archived