Valtrex in Thailand and stress outbreaks

Can Valtrex be obtained in Thailand or should I just bring it in from the US. Last time I was there I couldn't find it. Traveling is stressful on me and it seems I always have a breakout during my trip. Can be a hell of a downer while in Pattaya. What about acyclovir? It might be able to gotten very cheaply in Thailand. It cost about $30 for a 180mg bottle which covers about 2 outbreaks. However from what I hear Valtrex is more effective but costs about twice as much per outbreak.

Yep. Valtrex and acyclovir suppresses the bodies reaction to the Herpes virus from what I understand. Valtrex is converted to acyclovir by your body but in a place where it can more readily be used. Where as a lot of acyclovir gets wasted in your body. So I would guess less side effects d/t less chemicals in your body with Valtrex. Acyclovir is cheaper though because it can be gotten generic. When Valtrex is generic acyclovir will probably disappear.

People are scared of Aids but they ought to be scared of Herpes, because there is a good chance you will get Herpes but not much chance of Aids. The medicine costs lots of money. Your partner will probably catch it. You'll get sores on your dick everytime your immune system gets weak, which means probably everytime you take a trip to Thailand!!!!! Anything stressful weakens your immune system.

[ February 17, 2002: Message edited by: boogaloo ]

boogaloo,

Thanks for the confirmation, which raises an important issue. I know it is tempting, especially because it results

in saving money; but, I have encountered

many farangs in drug stores who were self-medicating themselves, sometimes making

the situation, for which they are demanding

pharmaceuticals for, much worse. Trust me when I say it is more prudent to seek advice

from a physician. There is a walk in clinic

on the second floor of Bumrungrad. If you

folow my advice, you should go to the clinic,

where the receptionist (medically knowledgable) will ask you what your problem is; and, they will direct you to the doctor who is most qualified to deal with your particular situation. It may take some of your sanuk money away; but, that is a far better end result than having your trip to LOS ruined by the 'wrong' medication.

Boogaloo,

There is no difference in the side effects between Valtrex and acyclovir-for Valtrex to work, the body has to convert it to acyclovir. The difference is in the chemical structure of Valtrex which increases the bioavailability by less plasma binding etc.

I think you should be much more afraid of HIV. HSV won't kill you, but HIV certainly can.The majority of people with HSV either don't know they have it or have only a few scattered outbreaks because they build a good antibody against HSV. Stress, such as a trip to Thailand, won't result in an outbreak. Only a minority of people with HSV fail to build a good antibody and these people are subject to repeated outbreaks and stress can play a role.

Archived