Footy shirts yet again

Lusty

I saw the new Arsenal Shirts available last week.If not already I'm sure they will be available soon.

(Pie eaters = the miners of wigan who during the general strike 1926 returned to work breaking a strike and eating humble pie, still a very emotive issue in that part of the world)

JP

Bkkbound04 said:

Pie eaters = the miners of wigan who during the general strike 1926 returned to work breaking a strike and eating humble pie, still a very emotive issue in that part of the world

JP

The town is also associated with pies and pasties which were traditionally popular with coal miners in the area. Wiganers are often called 'Pie Eaters' - it has been suggested this name arose because the striking miners were forced back to work and made to eat humble pie. The truth to the story is that there are currently around 100 pie shops in the wigan area, and a "pie on a barm" is known as "a wigan kebab".

All us Leythers know about our Pie Eating Neighbours

Interesting definition of truth..

The term pie eaters is regarded as derogatory and few Wiganers like it as its origins are very firmly linked to the 1926 strike, there was & is great rivalries amongst south lancashire people & miners(ex miners now) and this was very evident in the great Rugby League derby games. (I went to many of the saints/wigan/warrington/leigh matches of the 70s & 80s.

As the term has stuck so firmly in the minds of people there has been some attempt to try and do as you have done and claim that wigan has more pie shops than anyone else,that doe'snt make sense as all those south lancs towns have pie shops on every corner.

JP

• 2 months later...

I thought I would add this little story here.

I went out looking for a football jersey and the normal street vendor near Soi 9 BTS stairs was missing in action. Went to the 2 stores past Soi 9, (next to the bottom of BTS steps)that sell jackets and jerseys. They didnt have what I wanted at the first shop.

At second shop, I was directed to the 3rd floor where they have tons of football (soccer) jerseys and found one for Eirecom that I wanted. I asked the price and the guy told me it was good quality and he punched 3,519 baht in his calculator. I said see you later and he dropped the price to 2000. I started to leave and he asked what price? I said 500 baht and he said okay. Damn vendors, I probably still got screwed!!

Archived