Risk of catching HIV?

I have a question I would like to hit you with, regarding the risk of catching HIV through unprotected sex with bar girls.

The first year and a bit I was here (Samui, not BKK), I kinda lost it a tad, and spent pretty much every night leathered on all sorts of crap; tequila, sambuka, beers, vodka, every night pretty much without fail. I had a great time during this first year, but unfortunately, I was a bit of a twat when it came to whoring. Or should I say, bareback whoring. When I was completely wankered, I basically wouldn?t give a fuck, and would pick up a bird or two, bring them back to my place and rag?em all night without a bag. Not every time, but some of the time I would loose it and dive in not giving a fuck, as I was so pissed. Whenever I did, I would wake up the next afternoon and fuckin hate myself for it.

Now, I have calmed it way down. Gone from ?havin it? every night to just going out and having a few beers with friends, watching the footy, playing pool etc. Also, im working now, so I focus on my job pretty much these days.

Anyway, to the point? (and im sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, as I think it is) does anyone really know what the chances are of picking up HIV through bare backing? Now that I have sorted it out a bit, in reflection, im worried sick I could have picked something up. As soon as the thought of HIV enters my head, I start flapping like a loon and my imagination goes into over time. Because I have no idea of the stats, I don?t really have a clue if I have any real reason to be worried. I don?t actually know if the amount I have barebacked is that many, but it could be enough?. About 10 in total. Is that taking the piss? Or are you guys laughing at this stage that it?s a low amount? I?m only asking cos I don?t know. Either way, my main reason for flapping is that one or two of them were knocking on a bit, and seem to be old time seasoned pro?s.

Like I said, I have calmed it down now, and don?t even go to girly bars that much any more. When I do, I bag up every time now. But, the question remains? should I worry about this as much as I do? Is there a fair chance that if you bareback 10 whores you could pick something life threatening up?

Again, sorry if it?s a dumb question, and feel free to ridicule me for worrying about nothing, but I am worried, and need to find out if my concerns are justified.

I have of course thought of a test at the local hospital, but have been told it?s a waste of time here (5 minute quickie) and would be better off doing it back home in England.

Any thoughts, please fire away.

Thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a test!

The icon says that this is an event topic....a first for me!

Just get a test.

I know guys that have gone bareback for twenty years and never picked up anything serious.

I know a couple guys that were faithful to a single girl and got it as they- the girls- were most certainly not faithful.

Almost every case I know of where a girl working in a bar was HIV postive involved a boyfreind/husband/meng da who was a motorcycle taxi guy at Nana.

Just get a test....odds are very strongly in your favour that you will be able to relax after that.

HIV test in LOS is just as accurate as one in UK. Last one I had was Nov at Bumrungrad, got the results in 2 hours. I used to get one every time I came back from holiday after waiting 12 weeks. The way you have ben carrying on was highly irresponsible, not only risking infection but you could have been passing something on just because you could not be arsed to get tested. Get tested and put your mind at rest-peter

By all means, get a test.

But in the mean-time, try not to worry so much because the risk of you getting HIV in your case is pretty low.

Even if ALL of the ten times was with an infected woman, the odds of you picking it up would be about 1/100. That's based on the assumption that the chances of getting it from an infected woman for each act of unprotected, vaginal sex is about 1/1000. That's the number I've seen time and time again.

(The formula is not simply 10 * 1/1000, by the way, so don't just go extrapolating the results.)

Odds do vary from person to person and there are many other variables. Being circumcised appears to lower the risk.

But from 10 instances the risk is fairly low.

Cheers for the advice guys. In hindsight, i should probably have introduced myself before diving straight in with ''hey fella's, d'ya reckon i have hiv!''

Anyway, whilst i feel my past actions dumb, i do agree that i probably have little to worry about. I will get the test though, 10 is a low number, considering how many bareback nights some guys have had here, however as you said, one can be enough. My main worry is those old timers i mentioned.... had i been sober, i would rather have donated a lung than fuck them, let alone bareback'em.

All said and done, i should stop flapping and get the test. At least i can hopefully chill out then.

Cheers, B.

Yeh, your right, should stop flapping. Funny how your imagination goes into overdrive though.... like, I think back to one morning when I awoke with a girl, as she came out of the shower I clocked half a dozen weird spots on each upper arm. I didn?t mention it, but she must have noticed me looking. ??Water no good, make skin no good'' was her excuse, and possibly true. But then you start thinking of other little incidents like this, and you kinda start over analyzing a bit, you know what I mean? Well, I did anyway?

Anyway, enough whining, I?ll sort it out! Cheers.

Archived