Risk of catching HIV?

So..what happened Batty? Did you get tested or what? Are you still alive?

I had 3 unprotected exposures (broken condoms) last week and...wouldn't you know it...have a temperature and very sore lymph nodes. Jeez.

I hate it when people make these kinds of threads and never update them!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back Batty.

I've been shagging around SE Asia, and elsewhere, for the last 18 years and in the early years I never ever wore protection. Although I try to now, and have done so for quite a few years (usually the girl reminds me), there are times when stopping to put on a connie is the last thing that enters ones mind and so I still go bb from time to time. I know I probably shouldn't but having done it I don't worry about it.

I've been tested for HIV 3 times in the last 6 years (mandatory for a UAE residence permit) and they've all been clear.

Everything I've read suggests that the male has an extremely low change of contacting HIV from an infected female unless he basically has cuts or open sores on his dick or groin, which I assume you don't have.

I'm not being blase about going bb and would never recommend it but on the other hand I don't consider doing it to be a serious risk.

Spoke to a doctor one night, or was introduced via a guy I know. He was an oldish US guy and he worked as a consultant to Bumrungrad dealing with anomalies in medicine.

He also worked on SARS and birdflu. Of course I took the chance to ask about HIV risk. And he shook his head and said it was impossible to for a man to get it from a women through vaginal intercourse. He explained that the natural flow of blood in the body is always out so the pressure is always outward meaning that infections can t get in. He said anal sex was a higher risk because the intestinal wall absorbs

easily. Thats what he said, and some of the guys said he was one of the top in his field. He was a vietnam vet. Think his name was DR Jack something.

Recently I had a conversation with a good physician who runs his own clinic on Pratamnak Road in Pattaya. He advised me (of course) to always wear condoms. I think he was forgetting that I'm married and hardly even get to see the 'scene.'

He told me that ghonnorhea was rampaging through Sin City; and, that it was the most prevelant STD out there (in Pattaya) today. He said that HIV is definitely also out there, so protection is essential in his expert opinion.

He further related that herpes is less of a problem in Pattaya and Thailand than in the United States where one in five sexually active individuals have the virus! Hey, have they started "herpes - only" clubs yet in the States?

Sorry, your obvious sarcasm was lost on me,funny though because this guy strangely looks like the guy I spoke to alittle bit. Actually if you want to speak to this DR you can challenge him yourself.

He drinks in the tequila bar on soi 4, which is in the carpark after the 7/eleven. Someone told me he is buying a part in that bar. His head is tilted to the side due to an apparent injury suffered in Vietnam.

If you go there you might be able to speak to him. I think it is irresponsible also, and I certainly would nt trust that advice.

But if he really has the reputation that he is suppose to have then he is a top Dr.

"He told me that ghonnorhea was rampaging through Sin City; and, that it was the most prevelant STD out there (in Pattaya) today. He said that HIV is definitely also out there, so protection is essential in his expert opinion."

Thanks for the info. That's certainly helping me feel better. I've never felt this sick in my life.

One thing is for sure....Thailand needs to make more of an effort at stocking their clinics with some compassionate and knowledgable staff.

A British doctor friend in Phnom Phen was telling me how Thai doctors tend to look at you as another Farang sex tourist, hand out anti-biotcis and out you go. Was he ever right.

I like my experience at the Pattaya clinic.....'You don't have chlamydia but you could have have gonorrhea - we don't know - so take these anti-biotics." Huh?

Or the Hua Hin doctor...."Never mind the fever and the lymph node pain. That sexual encounter gave you a sore throat. You'll be fine. Take these anti-biotics. Next!"

>He drinks in the tequila bar on soi 4, which is in the carpark after the 7/eleven.

Ah! The Tequila bar on soi 4. Yes, the well known hang out of eminent virologists, retrovirologists and immunologists. Many a night has been spent there quaffing beers and discussing the ability of the HIV gp120 envelope glycoprotein to initiate a signaling cascade that involves the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase.

oops. Sorry, forgot. Sarcasm is not your strong point. Anyway, the point I am trying to make here is that you met a guy in a bar ( a "top" medical expert *and* a vietnam vet *and* - if you asked him - who probably does a bit of covert work for the CIA on the side) who told you one of the biggest crock of shits going and you took it on board. Ask yourself whether it is likely that a consultant to Bumigrad is likely to "hang out" in a bar and moreover think of investing in a dodgy bar in bangkok?

>But if he really has the reputation that he is suppose to have then he is a top Dr.

And when I am not doing the boring stuff I spend my day doing, I am really an astronaut. Honest.

-j-

Archived