Former Mr. Universe arrested in Pattaya

Former Mr. Universe, Dennis James arrested for drug involvement

Muscle man allegedly caught with ecstasy and steroids

PATTAYA: Well-known Pattaya resident and former Mr. Universe, Dennis James, was arrested by Drug Enforcement and Crime Suppression officers in front of the Universe Gym on Pattaya Beach Road at around 9.30 a.m. on Thursday, February 26.

Police searched Dennis? car, discovering 19 ecstasy tablets, 3 bottles of what appeared to be steroids and 7 bottles of an unidentified white powder. Police said they believe James received the ecstasy pills in a package from Germany.

James was then taken to his house where officers searched for further evidence before taking him to the station for questioning. James refused to speak to police at that time.

Officers are waiting for laboratory results as to the identity of the unknown white substance, but have charged James with possession of ecstasy tablets, which are a class one illegal substance in Thailand.

--Pattaya Mail 2004-03-05

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody in the gym at that time? When in Pattaya, I workout over at Universe Gym on Beach Rd. I've had the pleasure to meet Dennis a few times while working out. Seemed like a friendly, classy bro and not this alledged extacy drug dealer that the Thai papers are painting him out to be.

Btw, why would he risk importing over Extacy from Germany and face a possible execution when there is enough extacy in LOS if you know where to look? It just doesn't add up? Smells like a setup to me.

Opinions, everyone?

~Thaiboxer

19 tabs of x doesn't make him a drug dealer. If they were his in Thailand, just stupid, really stupid. What I am wondering is what is the legal situation with steriods in Thailand? Never met the guy but I have seen him, the diet in a Thai jail is going to screw up his system something bad.

Just to clear up one clearing inaccuracy? Dennis was never Mr. Universe? the owner of the gym was, and thus the gym?s name.

It seems that Dennis was set up big time? interesting that the public report of his arrest came two weeks after the event? keeping things quiet so he can bring down anyone he may know? faced with an eternity in a Thai prison, most people would inform on their own mother.

What the hell was he thinking about!?

point was that 19 tab of x is probably not worth as much as I spend in a few days when in LOS. Doubt it was a big drug deal. More likely personal use of some sort but extremely stupid in LOS as it is probably still an amount that could make for a long stay in the monkey house. As for 7 bottles of white powder, being a body builder it could be many legal substances. Who knows.

This was found on the musclemayhem.com forum from a credible source.

"Guys, I just got home from Bangkok after 5 days working on DJ?s legal troubles in Bangkok.

He was released on bail on Monday at about 2pm. He was in good physical shape after 5 days of very little food and water ? he lost about 7kg. The conditions where he was staying were basically a small cell holding 30 inmates, wooden floor, no beds or chairs, one roof fan and a hole in the middle0 of the floor to crap into. The lights were never turned off. There was no exercise period and he never left that cell.

The first thing we did was check into a hotel where he showered, then we ate the buffet dry and then in true DJ style, he went to bed at 9:30pm because he wanted to train the next day.

But he had one more thing to do before he drove back to Pattaya. He had spent 5 days with some of the baddest drug dealers you could imagine - guys that freely admit to having tens of thousands of pills and will never be released ? but he had made a promise. He went to Pizza Hut and KFC and bought his ex-cellmates all the pizza and chicken they could eat. He also gave one of the guys that will never see the light of day again, a pair of his Docker boots. He will never get to wear them, but he asked DJ for them and DJ went home barefoot. Says a lot about the guy.

Again, I don?t want to talk to much about his case and our legal defense, except that he is well represented and his lawyers are very confident. That said, this is Thailand where drug dealing is punishable by life in prison or death. We will be working very hard on proving his innocence in the coming weeks.

As far as all the newspaper reports, they are so inaccurate its laughable. They do not even come close to the actual police charges (physical report) against him. Fiction at its best, made to sell newspapers. Please ignore them. If what they reported was true, there is no way DJ would make bail.

In a nutshell, there are no steroid charges at all. The only charge is for 19 tablets of ecstasy that was sent to him at Universe Gym from an inidentified person in Germany. He did not admit or sign anything, did not open the package and is free on bail. There are absolutely no extradition proceedings in place. He has all the correct visa?s for Thailand. Anything different from these facts is just wrong.

Chad. Thanks a million for being the voice of reason on the other end of the phone. Tom, the only Pro to offer kind words, thanks. Mayhem supporters, DJ will validate your support soon. To all the doubters, haters, rumor moungers and pimply faced-Judge Judy?s ? screw you. I hope you never, ever have to face anything like this.

I will ask you again. Please keep an open mind on DJ's legal case - Innocent until proven guilty. Not asking for you to believe or your support...but dont be surprised if after reading all the negative crap on this board, that you lose yet another Pro from Mayhem.

Lastly, DJ will probably be on here in a few days. He had his computer confiscated so he has to go buy a new one tomorrow.

He?s probably at the gym right about now? "

Here's some current points :

1) No steroid charges laid (steroids are legal to purchase OTC in Thailand)

2) Charged w/Xtacy (anything over 15 tabs in Thailand is considered a major crime punishible by death, Dennis is alledged to have had 19)

3) White powder is alledged to be a recreational drug Ketamine (again punsihable by death, yet Dennis has not been charged for this???)

4) DEA was involved in arrest along w/local Thai police

5) Dennis is out on bail

6) DEA is seeking to extradite Dennis back to USA

This all raises some more questions :

1) Dennis, having lived over 14yrs in Thailand would be very aware of LOS's harsh drug penalties punishable by death. Now why would a sucessful bodybuilder take the chance of dealing w/extacy knowing the harsh implications? Why would he possess 19 tabs when having over 15 would result in a crime? 19 tabs is not worth much on the streets, how much would he be profiting off this? It would be just plain stupid dealing w/so little tabs, the risk/reward ratio would not have been worth it. Was this a setup or was he just plain stupid?

2) Would the DEA be concerned about the steroids? I think not...it's very expensive and time consuming to have to arrange cooperation w/thais for what is merely viewed to them as a nuisance drug. On the other hand, X and K are recreational drugs which are treated more severely. Given that, why would DEA be concerned about 19 miniscule tabs of X? They must have bigger fish to fry.

3) Usually when DEA becomes involved internationally to arrest someone, they must have collected a lot of prior evidence for an open and shut case. How long do u think Dennis had been under surveillance? Was the little 19 hits of X just a fraction of what he may have been dealing w/in the past? Is there prior surveilance w/Dennis moving large drug quantities? DEA goes after guys that they are certain they can get a conviction on.

All in all, these facts have just raised more questions. Personally, I do not trust anything written in the Thai papers, since most of it is just inaccurate facts and embellishments. I hope Dennis is innocent and if he's not, then he's gotta do the time.

~Thaiboxer

Archived